Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryland House B+B experience

• 27-07-2011 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Maryland House:
    i was always curious about the place, given its appearance of not being used in years but still open <snip>.
    It also has a penthouse that looked like it would have been pretty cool back in its heyday. Its a quirky odd spot and i said i might as well try out the B_B there.

Believe it or believe it not, but i did staty there once maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Just with it in the news and all and i always thought it was a quirky if not wierd spot. I wandered in one evening and happeded to meet Vinny at the back of the bar. He was doing paperwork or summut and i asked him for B+B. Fine he says, €30.
    The place was like stepping back in time, nothing, not even the bedding i'd say has changed in 30 years, all very strange. I was nervous at first but everything was fine, though tthe TV was all fuzzy. Bed not that comfy. Bathroom a little grotty but acceptable. I went out and got takeaway chips and brought it to the room. I was on the first floor i think and att the front, looking out onto the Bishops Palace. The room had en-suite and had a glass block wall section beside the door. single bed.
    I got a front door key for AH and was able to go in the side door, the one with the canopy. In the morning i met the woman on the stairs, she stared at me and said i had to check out by 12.00. That was a kinda strange experience. Had my brekkie and was gone. A good experience though i was glad i done it just for curiosity sake.
    I have tried booking in there twice since, once just calling in like before, i met her and she said no vacancies. Another time about a year ago i phoned in to book but she said no vacanies. It seems she wants no-one there but good old vinnie still takes in customers. The whole place, the owners and the general experience is a little surreal and odd.
    Whats the story with that place anyway, is it really open or not - the door is always open but no-one ever inside. The bar was deserted apart from vinny and it has not had a redecoration in llike 30 years.
    It'd be worth trying it out though.

Has anyone else had a stay there either recently or in the more distant past??
    what are your experiences?
    Whats the story there? is it open for business or what?
    when was its heyday when it was a normally functioning B+B and restaurant?
    when and why did it become rundown and a sort of surreal place?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Ill be honest, I don't feel comfortable with this thread seeing as how every other thread about the place went down the dodgy route. There a bitch to mod, its far to time consuming, and its an all around headache for mods and admins.

I suggest having a look on TripAdvisor, or reviewing there, but I really don't think this forum is appropriate for discussing said premises considering the allegations that surround it and the last two court cases.

Sorry, its a shame it had to go to this but I just don't see any other way. Open to Feedback by PM .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Ill be honest, I don't feel comfortable with this thread seeing as how every other thread about the place went down the dodgy route. There a bitch to mod, its far to time consuming, and its an all around headache for mods and admins.

I suggest having a look on TripAdvisor, or reviewing there, but I really don't think this forum is appropriate for discussing said premises considering the allegations that surround it and the last two court cases.

Sorry, its a shame it had to go to this but I just don't see any other way. Open to Feedback by PM .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sully its till open!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement