Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent is not returning the deposit

Options
  • 27-07-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi All,

I rented an aptartment from a letting agent for 2 years and 3 months. I gave them notice in 3 months, 1 month, a week in advance. They failed to inspect the apartment as we move out but let the care taker of the complex to inspect for them. He inspected and informed them that it was in "Good condition. Only wear and tear".

Now agent wants to inspect it themselves (after 2 weeks) and refund the deposit only when they do it themselves. They have history of deducting some percentage for wear and tear (dirt around sink etc). And they are so slow, ignorant and bully.

Any advice on this?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fergl

MGLman, I'm having the same problem with another management company.
    Recently discovered that their unofficial policy and it may be the same with your agency is they keep putting you off until you bring them to the prtb.

Some will say go to Threshold but you should just go straight to the prtb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bully them back. Call into their office constantly till they do something about it, and if they haven't in two days, report them to the PRTB at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

I rang them today and I was told that the lady who I was dealing with is off for the rest of the week and I was told that nothing will be done unless apt is being inspected fully by her "boss".

I rang the care taker today about the check ups and asked if anyone has come. He told me that he did it (which means he did it again) and noone needs to come and he had informed the agent about the apt.

So, i have just got to wait and see...

Why can't they just be responsible for what they do. This is why we are in recession !!!

@Fegal: I rang Theshold, they start to deal with the issue after 4 weeks. In the mean time I was adviced to contact the agent and take whatever the agent pease to give me back and go after the remainder at the latter stage. The prtb takes 2-3 month until the case is heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I bet something would be done if you kept calling into the office.

They've had 3 months to organise it. The only person who can sort it out, is away these two exact weeks. How likely is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

As someone suggested before, turn up at their office and insist on your money back. Make a noise in front of other customers. Say you're not leaving until you get it back. Threaten legal action. Do whatever it takes...I did all this a few years ago with an agency in dublin that was taking their time returning my deposit so after a week or so I flipped and I haven't done business with an agency since. I view all letting agents as pondlife and there's no point trying to be nice to these people. Just bully them back and be as thick as an ass with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement