Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to New York with my power chair; am I mad??

Options
  • 27-07-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Heading to New York with my Mam this August; this will be our 4th visit. I use a motorised wheelchair at home but when we travel I always swap to my manual chair.

It just so happens that I'm getting a new motorised chair in the next few weeks and I've been asked many times now why I dont bring my motorised chair away with me; my answer has been 1. I wouldnt know how to collapse it when it came to putting it on the plane and 2. I would be afraid it would break while I was away and I would be stuck in a foreign country with no chair.

But any stories I hear nowadays about travelling with motorised chairs seem to be positive so I'm starting to think 'why not?'. As I've mentioned I've been to New York so I know the built environment is suitable for motorised chairs and, in my experience, American people are very helpful and would help you out in any situations you may find yourself in.

So this is my long winded way :rolleyes: of asking who's travelled abroad with their motorised chairs? Who's tackled the airlines and what kind of procedures do you have to go through in order for them to accept your chair for flying?

BTW, I'm flying Delta

Advertisement