Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strimmer for farm

• 27-07-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Was thinking of buying a strimmer for the farm- for cutting under fences, around yard etc. Any recommendations on size and make would be welcome. Also rough idea on price. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

deise man wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying a strimmer for the farm- for cutting under fences, around yard etc. Any recommendations on size and make would be welcome. Also rough idea on price. Thanks in advance

Saw in the Farming Independant an ad for a Jonsered strimmer offer. 35cc strimmer for 395 euro.

Anyone any experience of Jonsered strimmers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

we have a partner colibri II strimmer got it in arro its not the biggest and is a string strimmer does the job cheap is all i remember not sure of the exact price, no problems with it whatsoever.

but if your using your for your farm you might want to look into a strimmer that has a blade instead of strings might be better and some have detachable heads that can have a chainsaw bit and a string bit, more expensive tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Get a Honda 4 stroke with a blade and the ability to have string if you want it. More useful than string alone. The 4 stroke engines are real quiet too and Honda engines are fantastic. It was over €600 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

johngalway wrote: »
    Get a Honda 4 stroke with a blade and the ability to have string if you want it. More useful than string alone. The 4 stroke engines are real quiet too and Honda engines are fantastic. It was over €600 though.

Efco at around €300 are a very good Italian brand. Connacht Gold sell them in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I bought a Spear and Jackson from Argos :) 130euro blade and string.. and cant fault it!!

Only thing i did is buy an aluminimum head to take the strips of heavy gut and it was 25euro and its mighty:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

hammer73 wrote: »
    Saw in the Farming Independant an ad for a Jonsered strimmer offer. 35cc strimmer for 395 euro.

Anyone any experience of Jonsered strimmers?

We've a Jonsered we bought in '98, reliable/easy to start
    and well built.

Jonsered are now part of Husqvarna and have more "domestic"
    models for lower money.

Irrespective of which brand you go for a straight shaft and a
    the ability to take a metal heavy grass cutting blade will be the
    business.

Brother-in-law has a Honda 4 stroke for around his house that I
    borrow sometimes, it's well built and starts easy but vibrates
    more than i thought it would and lacks the "revy" power of a 2-stroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For a farm I would go for a 40cc or thereabouts, straight shaft as has been said and for grass and tall weeds a tri-wing blade.
    I like the japanese stuff, Tanaka, Maruyama, or Kawasaki are all good makes that aren't that expensive.
    I have a fair bit of Tanaka gear and its very durable and well made and parts are easily got if you need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i have a ryobi strimmer. bought in woodies/athlantic homecare in mullingar in 2010 for €200.

it has pull start and soft start (great for restarting once its warmed up)
    its 39cc 2 stroke

it came with the following for striming

string on the reel
    string lenghtsapprox 12" long (havent used)
    the solid steel weed eater head

and also came free with the chainsaw head and the hedge cutting hedge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

deise man wrote: »
    get a stihl fs 55 rc strimmer you wont go wrong .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

get a stihl fs 55 rc strimmer you wont go wrong .

have 1 for a number of years , it has a lot of work and never once gave any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

Bought a Stihl KM 130 R kombi system strimmer. 1.9hp 37cc. payed €500 for it . Best machine I've used. I have had cheap machines and Tanaka strimmers in the past no way near as powerful or as well made as the Stihl.The Kombi system is a good idea to change between strimmer hedge cutter sweeping brush etc. Try your local garden equipment chainsaw dealer these independent agents a mad for sales and most are will to do a deal madey even a trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

mf690 wrote: »
    Bought a Stihl KM 130 R kombi system strimmer. 1.9hp 37cc. payed €500 for it . Best machine I've used. I have had cheap machines and Tanaka strimmers in the past no way near as powerful or as well made as the Stihl.The Kombi system is a good idea to change between strimmer hedge cutter sweeping brush etc. Try your local garden equipment chainsaw dealer these independent agents a mad for sales and most are will to do a deal madey even a trade in.
    ya i have one of them as well with the chainsaw head and the adjusting hedge cutter 135 deg version and the extension bar i gave 600 euro for mine money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

before u buy, rent it for a day to check it out, weight & lenght are conciderations if u are expecting to use for more than 1 hour at a time...........bigger isnt always better (they say).........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

we have a honda with plastic string,
    the string wears out quickly and will have trouble with thick weeds (thick thistles/ stalky weeds) but the plus side is you can hit as many stones/posts/walls with it as you want. blade can be fitted but i'd be afraid it would get wrecked off fencing posts etc.

Honda 4 stroke engine is amazing. small light powerful and quiet. started on 2nd pull this summer after 8 months sitting in a shed! i've never owned another strimmer and would buy honda again without considering others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

CJhaughey wrote: »
    For a farm I would go for a 40cc or thereabouts, straight shaft as has been said and for grass and tall weeds a tri-wing blade.
    I like the japanese stuff, Tanaka, Maruyama, or Kawasaki are all good makes that aren't that expensive.
    I have a fair bit of Tanaka gear and its very durable and well made and parts are easily got if you need them.

I have a Maruyama 50cc. Over 10 years now. String and blade. A lot of work done, with never a bother. Easy started. Great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

it needs to be strong to work the blade, I use a kawa 45cc bought second hand. try donedeal

Advertisement