Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting up a retail premises

Options
  • 27-07-2011 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,

I'm currently working in a warehouse in an industrial estate in Dublin, we stock and distribute baby products to various shops around the country. My boss has recently mentioned that he would be interested in selling directly from our facilities and through our website.

I'm looking to find out what we would be required to do to be allowed to retail directly to customers, is it simply a matter of obtaining a retail licence and away we go? or is there a lot more we'd have to do? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

holmsey wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently working in a warehouse in an industrial estate in Dublin, we stock and distribute baby products to various shops around the country. My boss has recently mentioned that he would be interested in selling directly from our facilities and through our website.

I'm looking to find out what we would be required to do to be allowed to retail directly to customers, is it simply a matter of obtaining a retail licence and away we go? or is there a lot more we'd have to do? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Its away we go!

No licence, If you;re paying all the necessary taxes/duty etc to get it into the country already then you're laughing (not that this bothers everyone) Your route to market is "simply" is to the end user as opposed to the retail chain.

But, But, But, - if you start selling direct and your retail customers get ticked off, make sure you can get the business from your current website direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You mention directly and through a website. If you sell "directly" ie have customers on your premises you will need public liability insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

holmsey wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

I don't know where the "licence" question has come from - it pops up every now and then here. No licence is required to open a retail shop. A licence is required to sell alcohol and maybe tobacco.

You can open a "showroom" in your current lcoation and have it open to the public - as long as it doesn't cause too much hassle, and is only a sideline to the main business, you sholudn;t have any planning issues.

All you really need is a till & a credit card machine and away you go.

The hard part is getting the punters down to your place and then understanding how to deal with them properly.

Advertisement