Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI radeon 6970 vs ATI radeon 6850CF ..... Need help

Options
  • 27-07-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭

I will soon be building my first gaming pc and I'm stuck on which graphics card to pick . Should I go for the 6970 or the 6850CF they both are around the same price . And if I go for the 6850CF would it be harder to install and would I have to change things in the BIOS . Any help would be appreciated .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The 6850 CF would be the faster solution. You don't need to enable anything in the bios, just enable CF in the catalyst control panel. The two cards will use more power and create more heat than the one, and if you go for one 6970 you can always get a second one as an upgrade in the future. If you do go for the CF option make sure you get a CF compatible board with two PCIe x16 lanes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

It would depend on your budget and what other parts you're getting, but in general I would recommend a single card over crossfire and then getting a 2nd card as an upgrade down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Yeah I think that I'll just go for the 6970 since I guess it'll run most games now at pretty high settings and i can always get another 6970 later on down the line . Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

blobby360 wrote: »
    Yeah I think that I'll just go for the 6970 since I guess it'll run most games now at pretty high settings and i can always get another 6970 later on down the line . Thanks guys

I`ve had a 6970 for around 6 months now and cant fault it....
    I will be adding another one in a few weeks..Not that I really need it at the moment but im sure when Battlefield 3 lands 2 cards will be better than 1...
    And also with the new Crysis 2 dx11 and tess update the single card struggles a litte at max settings..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

sink wrote: »
    The 6850 CF would be the faster solution. You don't need to enable anything in the bios, just enable CF in the catalyst control panel. The two cards will use more power and create more heat than the one, and if you go for one 6970 you can always get a second one as an upgrade in the future. If you do go for the CF option make sure you get a CF compatible board with two PCIe x16 lanes.

Neglectable difference between x16x16 and x8x8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

But what if he us running a 6x3 array using Multiple TripleHeadGo??!?!? WHONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILEDREN! :P

Advertisement