Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Indian sweets

Options
  • 27-07-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

I am helping an Indian bride-to-be that is getting hitched in Galway source some bits & pieces. One of the things she wants to see if it is available locally are Indian sweets especially ones called barfi and halwa.

Can anyone help me please??

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First stop would be to ring and ask in Indian restaurants I'd say.
    Then Mediterranean shops and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

There's an Indian shop beside Aldi in Westside, they do sweets and some refridgerated desserts

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

You can get Halwa in Evergreen also.Usually down in the fridge in the Galway shopping centre branch,in a plastic caron with a cardboard wrap around it. Plus why not try the Indian food stall at the market, plus Govindas,they could either have some or maybe make them?Mmm, Barfi,used to have a friend who made these treats,beautiful. Best of luck getting them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

+1 Indian shop beside Aldi.

Lots and lots of sweeties in there. Fair few beauty products also, if she's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

trio wrote: »
    +1 Indian shop beside Aldi.

Lots and lots of sweeties in there. Fair few beauty products also, if she's interested.

+2 Shop by Aldi, but deffo +1 asking at Govindas stall in Market. Those lovely sweets are SO good when freshly made. Also someone from the Indian community may be good at doing it for weddings. Try posting (maybe in a couple of languages) in Westside library.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Since it's a wedding and if it's at all possible,you may consider going to Dublin.A new shop that stocks only indian confectionery has just opened maybe a 10 min. walk from the Stephen's Green.It's a UK based franchise and it's called "Ambala".I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that they sell the nicest and most authentic indian sweets that you'll ever have.

Here's their website with the store location and the various mouth-watering sweets that they stock: http://www.ambalafoods.com/info/Stores.html

If you do decide to pay them a visit,may I suggest that you try their Barfi Pista (green) and Habshi Halwa (brown).

For the record,I have no affiliation with the store.I just LOVE their sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

YUM!

Advertisement