Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 27-07-2011 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I have a place in St Georges in London and will likely have a place in UCD come August. What would people do if given the choice? And why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Huge question, pbl v hybrid. Fees v Nhs subsidised.

Georges gets a bit of a bashing in the uk, while UCD has a very solid rep.

Did u like georges when u were there for the interview? I personally didnt, tooting is a bit of a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

spagboll wrote: »
    Huge question, pbl v hybrid. Fees v Nhs subsidised.

Georges gets a bit of a bashing in the uk, while UCD has a very solid rep.

Did u like georges when u were there for the interview? I personally didnt, tooting is a bit of a kip

Why does Georges get a bashing? I was under the impression it had a pretty good rep? Tooting not an issue, ill prob just live in county clapham with the rest of Ireland anyway if i went.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

100+k of debt for UCD, think ya know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Take into consideration what you want to do after you qualify, ie where you want to be based or train etc . Two years VS one year internship etc. Although I'm sure you might be able to get an intern place back in Ireland if you chose although definitely worth checking are there requirements for you to work in the UK for a period upon qualification given the substantial subsidy.

Tooting has good and bad bits, but as you mentioned there's plenty of spots in very close proximity that are pretty good. I'm in "county" Clapham at the minute and making the opposite move home to go to UCD, I would have applied to the UK but I didn't have the option as I needed to keep a job and couldn't get the time off to do the GAMSAT last September and there's no way I'm waiting another year regardless of the cost. I absolutely love living in London, I'm only in Clapham this summer and I've lived a couple of other places but regardless of where you are its a great city with ****loads to do and its not like you are the other side of the world either.

However London is bloody expensive, most rooms in this area are at least £500-550 and then there's council tax and bills on top (you may not have to pay council tax or at least get a discount if you live in a house of solely students). Flying home is relatively cheap if you're flexible with dates (Friday and Sunday are a killer) but it is worth adding in costs like that when you're deciding, granted this will never add up to the cost of fees at home! But I'm not sure what the arrangements for loans are here or what upper limits are applicable.

I wouldn't worry about people who say one college's rep is better than the rest. As everyone points out here, you'll get the same degree, its up to you what you do with it. Good luck with deciding.

If you decide to head for UCD there seems to be a sh!tload of people on here heading for it and I reckon it'll be a good laugh, I certainly intend having a right old ball for the next 4 years. Class drunk in waiting!

Advertisement