Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leathers

• 27-07-2011 5:41pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think my next purchase should be a half decent set of leathers. I want a two piece - I want to be able to do a trackday at some stage, but I want to wear the jacket day to day. Looking some something nice but fairly subtle - nothing too loud. They can get to crazy money so can anyone recommend a good set of leathers that is easy on the pocket? Any good sites or shops to look for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I've a set of Scott Leathers Venom, very hight quality. Lot of police forces use them.

http://www.scottleathers.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Zascar wrote: »
    I think my next purchase should be a half decent set of leathers. I want a two piece - I want to be able to do a trackday at some stage, but I want to wear the jacket day to day. Looking some something nice but fairly subtle - nothing too loud. They can get to crazy money so can anyone recommend a good set of leathers that is easy on the pocket? Any good sites or shops to look for them?

Check out whether you can use a two piece on a track day. I read in an English mag recently that you couldn't use them over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I thought any leathers that have the full zip were okay. They were fine up in Kirkistown a couple of years ago and fine for Mondello.
    I like rst leathers. My set are 6 years old and are fine. The oh got a lovely set a couple of years ago that I promised myself to upgrade to when mine wore out.
    At the time I got them in Kennedy's in drogheda because I know them but they are much more readily available now. I'd recommend trying leathers on somewhere before internet shopping because sizing can vary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Check out whether you can use a two piece on a track day. I read in an English mag recently that you couldn't use them over there.

You can once the pants & jacket zip together, which they do on any half decent suit.

Zascar take a spin down to Cotters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I got a set of Berik 2 piece leathers in the north for £400 which was a bargain compared to anywhere down south. Even Alpinestars are not much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Have you checked adverts? if youre on a budget, theres usually a few up for sale and you can say you'll only buy if they fit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

HG in Newry have a sale on this week on Arlen Ness leathers, 30% off them. Could be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 deise69

FC-Moto have Alpinestars suits for around €400. I got a 2 piece Octane suit for €425 a few months ago and it arrived in 3 days.
    https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/secqygywb4eJ0s/?ObjectID=2693805&ViewAction=View&PageSize=50

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow, brilliant, that's exactly what I'm after. Loads to chose from and €400 is very good value.

Now, the thing is that the fit is all important with these things. Is there a lot of variation between sizing and brands? I feel you'd really need to try it on before buying, too risky it might not fit properly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about this set for 200?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I got a 2 piece Leather Takano suit from the visor shop in newry for less that €400. It's really good and I was at Mondello recently with them with no hastle.

This is the set at the bottom of this page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Now, the thing is that the fit is all important with these things. Is there a lot of variation between sizing and brands?

Somewhat.

I think styling has more to do with it, but you can't tell from manufacturers pics.

Race suits are designed to hold the body in a certain position when on the bike so the racier the suit the more I'd be inclined to try before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 deise69

Wow, brilliant, that's exactly what I'm after. Loads to chose from and €400 is very good value.

Now, the thing is that the fit is all important with these things. Is there a lot of variation between sizing and brands? I feel you'd really need to try it on before buying, too risky it might not fit properly...

The video gives a rough idea of the size, of the Alpinestars suits.
    I went for a 56 euro size, in the Octane suit ( though I usually take a 54 in any of the Alpinestars jackets I've bought previously, they tend to fit a bit smaller across the chest in the suits).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

The Don wrote: »
    I got a 2 piece Leather Takano suit from the visor shop in newry for less that €400. It's really good and I was at Mondello recently with them with no hastle.

This is the set at the bottom of this page.

Picked up a set of the Takano race 2 piece last week in Crossans, great value for £350, plus you can mix and match, as in Jacket of one size and trousers from another size great guys to deal with to

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Taz176

Got a great set of tanako 2pc leathers in crossans in newry . But before had talked to a couple of road and track racers who swear by them ! Thank you crossans delighted with them and the customer service !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think I'm fairly settled on RST Slice leathers. Tried on the jacket a while back and it fit like a glove, looks really good and is fairly reasonably priced. I want the textiles too for work etc, going to get one soon just not sure which.

Advertisement