Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reich Effect festival (Cork)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I'm away at the moment, but I'm raging to be missing this. Especially with the man himself there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I'd like to take in the interview and the dance pieces in the Firkin Crane, but the concert is expensive enough on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

One of the biggest con artists in 20th century classical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

He writes music that some people like. Listen or don't. There's no con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Saw Kronos play WTC 9/11 there on Saturday in Derry, wasn't really impressed.
    And his style hasn't really evolved much since Different Trains, and the pieces are really similar!

Still don't get his phase stuff either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Did anyone make it to the Jonny Greenwood performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Did anyone make it to the Jonny Greenwood performance?

Sadly, I missed the whole thing, but Dervan gave the Greenwood piece a moderately positive note (and I mean note) in his review of the event:
    The orchestral programme was, for me, something of a damp squib. Two pieces by Nico Muhly ( Step Team and So to Speak ) seemed to take an overly naive approach to creating oh-what-a-bad-boy-am-I effects. Kjartan Sveinsson’s Credo was awkwardly maudlin, though it provided an effective platform for The Voice Effect, a new choir created by John O’Brien. Jonny Greenwood’s Doghouse was altogether more effective, almost gorging in orchestral voluptuousness, but didn’t really know where to draw the line or when to stop. It all may have had something to do with Ziegler’s conducting, because even Reich’s Eight Lines didn’t quite gel under his direction.

Did they play 4 organs? That would have cleared the building :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Nolanger wrote: »
    One of the biggest con artists in 20th century classical music.

:eek:

:eek:

I know - you'd think that title would be reserved for Stravinsky.

• Advertisement

Or Philip Glass.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Or Philip Glass.

I dunno, Glass' music is simple, but I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. What makes him (or Reich) a con artist in your opinion?

I've nothing really against those lads TBH they've had their day.
    What really gets me is those Bang on a Can guys,
    like who do they think that they're fooling,
    they have some OK pieces but overall most are quite boring.

Stockhausen for me. ****er has a lot to answer for.

Haha! Now funky, we've been through this! :D

He was a bit mad, but he did contribute a lot to our understanding and acceptance of electro-acoustic music.

You say that like it's a good thing. :pac:

Dang, I was hoping for my Stravinsky comment to stir up at least a little ire:(

I'm with Glenn Gould, who referred to him and Bartók as "the two most overrated composers of the twentieth century."

Advertisement