Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Johnners Log

• 27-07-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Thought I might have a go at one of these, if only for the discipline of keeping records. Picked up the new bike today from Trailblazers in Carrick-On-Shannon. Great service from Gerry - we did a test ride and a session on rollers to make sure everything was properly set up. He made minute adjustments to saddle height and position before he was happy to send me off.

So got home and had a quick spin. Tonight is footy night, the roads were that horrible first-rain-after-a-dry-spell greasy, and it was my first proper run on a road bike in 18 years, so I was taking it handy. Did a fairly flat 18.5km at an average of 27.7kph. There was one half-decent climb in it. Botched a few gear changes getting used to the shifters, and had to slow right down twice for loose dogs on the road.

Was delighted with the bike overall - everything was nice and smooth and responsive. The 23mm tyres frightened the hell out of me at first on corners on the wet surface, but I guess I'll get used to that pretty quickly. A massive difference from my old hybrid.

I'm not sure what my longer term goals are as yet, - would like to do something along the lines of the Meath Tour, but not sure whether its a bit late in the season for this year. Plan is to hook up with a local club and get some decent miles into the legs over the next couple of months.

I'm 45, pretty fit, but carrying a bit of a beergut, 85kg. Reckon I'd be good for 50-60k at the moment without dying afterwards. Any advice or recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Got out again today for a longer loop route of 39.3km. One good climb and a couple of short sharp hills.

I took to the back roads thinking that the extra shelter and light traffic would be a bonus, but some of the surfaces were absolutely shocking. There were some bits I'd been over before on the fat-tyred hybrid. They seemed pretty bad then, but on the 23mms I thought I was going to lose my fillings.

Had circuit training tonight and two long days of work tomorrow & Saturday, so again was content to keep within myself. Even so, was a little disappointed with a 25.6kph average. Top speed 52.4 down a long gentle hill on a decent surface was nice though. The problem is my climbing/descending. The steeper slopes slowed me down to between 10-12kph, and I didn't regain the time coming down - was on the brakes much more than a proper cyclist would be. In my defence, it was a little boreen (Sally Gap road like the M50 in comparison) 18 inches of grass in the middle and what little tarmac there was, was very rough with plenty of potholes. Hoping that will improve with more miles and getting used to handling a road bike again.

Still, felt good enough about the trip at the end, though my lower back and neck were stiff. I'm just putting that down to the new riding position and assuming it will wear off soon. Probably won't get out again til Monday, but will be looking to hit at least 50k then.

After Friday & Saturday's weddings I got out for a quick leg-loosener on Sunday evening. 14.9km in 31 minutes on a route with lots of short steep hillocks . Just enough to work up a little sweat ahead of the longer ride I'd planned for today.

GMaps reckoned the looped route is 64km, though my bike computer readout clocked 65.3. I had a brief stop and a cup of tea at my Ma's after 30km - at that stage average speed was 29.8kph, but the second half of the route contained most of the hills. I didn't realise that 8 of the last 10k was a long drag up, which wasn't great for my tiring legs so the average speed dropped steadily to finish at 27.9kph, which I was happy enough with. If I was doing it again I think I'd go the other way around. The legs feel ok now, a couple of hours afterwards.

65.3km
    2h18m32s
    27.9kph avg
    58.2kph top

I'm now thinking of taking on the 80km Leinster Loop route on 20th August. I could go mad and try the 120, but it's probably coming a little early for me.

After yesterday's 65k, I'd thought of having a rest day today, but then got word of the beginnings of a new cycling club in my nearest town, Boyle. There was an active club - The Curlew Wheelers - a few years back, but apparently as the key members got on a bit, it morphed into The Curleew Walkers. Now it seems there are a few people interested in getting it going again. For now, they're just inviting all comers to a 23k leisure cycle on Tuesday evenings.

It was very leisurely for the first few km, as people slowed to keep the mixed group together, but after a while little bunches formed and the pace picked up a little. After we'd completed the loop a few of us decided to keep going and do another run up and down the old Sligoo Road through the Curlew mountains. The first 5k was the most serious climb I've done - really got the heart racing and the lungs gulping in air. I lost the wheel of the first man over but kept going and the legs felt ok once we got over the top. I think I was pushing too hard on too-high gears instead of dropping down to the granny gears earlier and keeping the cadence higher. The descent was fun.

Total of 38.5km, at a leisurely 24kph average, The computer said a top speed of 68.5, but that is definitely not correct. I keep the display on scan and the highest I saw was 49.7 - there's no way I was at 68 at any stage.

Enjoyed riding with others and chatting to the guy who led us over the climb. He's been cycling for less than a year, and did the 160k Tour of Sligo in May. In the same age group as me, so there might still be life in the old dog yet!

Wednesday night is footy night, so no proper spin yesterday, just a little 8k run round the lanes here. Had intended to do a decent run today, but I was feeling all of the 110+km from earlier in the week as well as the effects of a decent run-out last night, so limited the distance to a more or less pancake flat 32km. I was trying to concentrate on keeping my cadence up rather than pushing more slowly in a higher gear. Ran into a nasty headwind for about 12km, which of course was on the straightest, most open part of the trip. Didn't over-stretch myself until the last couple of km when my average speed dropped to 27.9kph. At that point I pushed on a bit to get back over 28. Daft of me as it's meaningless really, but the competitive edge kicks in anyway.

31.8km
    1hr 7mins
    Av speed 28.1kph
    Max 49.7kph

Weddings again this weekend and a few beers last night, so a little tired and hungover for this evening's spin. I did a 27km lap - my previous best time for it was 1.06.17 on the hybrid. I figured I should be able to do it 20% faster on the road bike, so targeted 54mins. Rode fairly hard, without burying myself, and got round in 55.19, 28.5kph. On another day I'll definitely hit 54, but it wasn't to be today. Again, I wussed out on a couple of descents with tight corners and could make up a bit of time there. As punishment for missing the target, I went around again, but at a more leisurely pace for a total distance of 53.8km.

A not very loud but very annoying squeak has developed somewhere round the crank everytime I rotate the right pedal from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Will get the oil out and have a fiddle with it tomorrow but not happy with that happening with a 3 week old bike...

53.8km
    Av speed 27.5kph
    Max 58.6kph

Total Distance for the Week - 197.4km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I had a similar prblem with my chainset, just remove it and grease the BB and put it back in again, cured it for me when i got the my gxp BB with the sram red which is compaticble with truvait which is most likely the one you have also!:D

Went on the club leisure cycle tonight - a different,route with a few more hills, then five of us took on the Category 4 Curlew climb again. I was much happier with my run up it this week, didn't lose nearly as much distance. Got into the granny gears earlier and kept the momentum up much better, a couple of little bursts out of the saddle every so often, but I'm definitely better sitting down and grinding away. After a very gentle start, the bunches separated, and it got a bit competitive at times up front with some of the more experienced lads putting down the hammer and making breaks every now and then. Missed the first big one, but didn't get badly dropped once I spotted what was happening, kinda missed the second one too but stayed close and got back on before too long by pedalling like bejasus in top gear downhill. Really enjoy cycling in a group like this - it's giving me a feel for where I'm at, and I'm fairly happy with my progress.

Highlight tonight was checking the computer after cycling the 10km to the meeting point and seeing that my average speed was 30.7kph on the trip - the first time I've averaged over 30 on any run - even if it was only a flattish 10k. Lowlight was when the guy two ahead of me in the bunch dropped his drinks bottle, and instictively braked. All was well, but it had the potential to be a nasty pile-up, as we were travelling at a decent lick at the time.

58.8km
    Av speed 25.6kph
    Max 61.2kph

Short run yesterday, had to leave the motor in for some work so had a gentle cycle home in my civvies-

20.7km
    Av speed 26.2kph
    Max 47.8kph

If I hadn't started this log, I'd have sat on the couch watching the hurling this afternoon. Had a few tough days work, didn't get the mileage in that I wanted during the week, and got home from yesterday's wedding fairly shattered. Had arranged to meet friends last night, so went out, had a few pints, but called it a night early enough. I'd been looking forward to doing a decent run today, but by mid-afternoon still felt wrecked. It was so tempting to put the spin on the long finger, but I didn't want to have to post a sub-100km weekly total on here, so decided to suck it up and see how things went.

As it happened, I felt ok, helped by a favourable wind and a nice day, so headed on a long run out that would leave me with no choice but to get home again. Was still flying it at 37k whan I turned into a stiff headwind in Drumshanbo. At that very moment, the heavens opened just for long enough to thoroughly soak me. The headwind only lasted a couple of kilometres and at the 50km I was very happy with an average speed of 30.1kph. Then things got tough - back into the headwind for about 12km, most of it on a steady drag up. It knocked me for six and I struggled along. At the final turn for home things got a little better, but I could feel a bit of knee-knack, and the quads were starting to quiver. At the end I was happy to have put in a decent distance, maintained a good pace for most of it, and delighted I hadn't taken the easy option and stayed on the couch.

Still undecided about next Sunday's Leinster Loop - it's a long way from Sligo to South Kildare. Would love to do the Sportive for the sense of occasion and the chance to ride with so many others, but might settle for a spin with the local club.

Stats
    Distance - 78.6km
    Time - 2.47.20
    Av speed - 28.1kph
    Max - 58.8kph

Route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46082442/

Also did a little 21.2k on Wednesday night, to give a Total Distance for the Week -179.3

Not a happy bunny this evening. Left a little bit late to join the club ride - thought about throwing the bike into the car, but wanted to do the extra 20k cycling there and back. Had only gone 3k, was pushing on a bit and met an oncoming truck. Narrow road, doing about 35kph, had to move in, saw and hit a largeish stone with the front wheel at the same moment. Thought to myself "will be lucky to get away with that" - "wow, got away with it!", then suddenly I was on the rim. Popped the tyre off, fitted the tube very efficiently considering it was my first time in 20 odd years and then things started to go wrong. Instead of getting a pump for my saddle bag I'd got a little compressed air cannister. The tyre went up alright, but as I struggled to remove the cannister, it went straight back down again. Missed the club ride and had to call Mrs Johnners to rescue me.

Got the tyre reasonably inflated with my cheapo Lidl pump and decided I'd do what I now think of as my Time Trial lap. Last time I did it in 55.19. Tonight I felt I rode harder, was braver on the descents and realy pushed over the last 5km. Finished in 55.35. Gutted. I was spinning faster in lower gears today rather than grinding the big gears which is what I did when I got the bike first. Only last night I was feeling pleased with myself after doing a tough cardiovascular circuit training session and thinking I could feel extra fitness. Just shows it doesn't pay to get too cocky. Maybe the 79km from Sunday were still in the legs, and I'd be better off taking a proper rest day occasionally.

Tomorrow I'm off to the LBS for a proper track pump and a few tubes.

Stats
    Distance - 27.1km
    Time - 55.35
    Av speed - 28.5kph
    Max - 51.3kph

This was more or less a rest week from the bike as I dropped it in for its first service and to get clip-in pedals fitted. Got BBB dual pedals and Specialized MTB shoes. Clipping in today reminded me of the first time I tried to put contact lenses in - lots of fumbling and frustration, despite the lesson in the LBS yesterday. They did feel better than the cage pedals and runners I was riding with, though the backs of my knees felt a bit uncomfortable later in the ride which I put down to not shifting position on the pedals at all. A few bursts out of the saddle seemed to resolve it.

Did 56.2k over flat/rolling terrain which included the same long drag that knocked me for six last Sunday. This time I was going in the opposite direction, so it was great flying down it at 45kph instead of struggling uphill.

Felt good today - the few days off helped - with circuit training Mondays & Thursdays, footy Wednesday, and busy workwise, I was feeling a bit jaded and probably not recovering fully. Very happy with an average speed of 29.5 over the distance. Wore my shiny new Adidas/Sky shorts for the fist time too. A little tighter than my Polaris pair, the pad not quite as comfy, but fine, and a bargain at the price.

Stats
    Distance - 56.2km
    Time - 1.54.24
    Av speed - 29.5kph
    Max - 49.8kph

Total Distance for the Week - 83.3km

• Advertisement

I've neglected this log for a while due to a very busy few weeks. I have kept up at least one decent spin of c.50km a week, usually with one or two 10kish run-outs thrown in. This past week, I've upped the ante a little bit, with a 91k on Friday, 27k on Monday and 32k last night, all in preparation for my first Sportive since I got back on the bike, and an attempt at 100km in next Sunday's Tour De Breffni. Normal service should resume from now on with the log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Are you doing the 50k for the Curlieu Wheelers next weekend? Is that your club in Boyle? Is is a closed event just for club members or can anyone go on it? I'm very tempted to go if I can round up one or two to come with me :p

Hope you got on well across Glangevlin?

Yes Reilig, will be involved next Sunday, probably marshalling I'd say - meeting tonight about it. It's definitely not a closed event, all are welcome. There were some flyers promoting it yesterday. It's a very nice rolling route, nothing too demanding, one little climb, some fine scenery along the way. Come along and bring as many as you can.

Had a good day yesterday, delighted with my time and how it went. Feeling a bit stiff today, but that's to be expected. I posted a proper account on the Tour De Breffni thread.

Just to keep this going -

After the 100k event, did a gentle 15 the next day to loosen the legs. Rode a reconnaisance of the 50k Curlieu Wheelers route on the Thursday, looking out for potholes etc. Rode it for real on the Sunday in 1.41, average speed of 28.5kph. Got out again midweek, riding my 27.1km timetrial route in under 55 minutes for the first time. I did it in the opposite direction for the first time - I expected it to be harder that way round. so either I was wrong or I'm getting stronger on the bike. Was away for the weekend at a mate's birthday so had two days of boozing and no biking. Went out on the club spin tonight in cold wet, windy conditions. Forgot to reset the trip computer, but did about 30k. fairly gentle pace. Will be looking to get out for a decent run Thursday or Friday.

Advertisement