Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hot water - Refuse to pay Rent?

Options
  • 27-07-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, so please move if not, and sorry :)

Anyway, we are renting an apartment which, for the last 2 months, has had no hot water. The main boiler broke about 2 months ago, and they are "waiting for parts" to fix it. We also have no immersion, which has been broken pretty much since we moved in, about 10~11 months ago.

We have informed the landlord of the broken immersion numerous via phone calls and text messages (we have copies of the text messages to confirm), dating back to when we first noticed the immersion broken 10 months ago (because the main boiler was not working then either).

Last month, after telling him the situation again, he agreed that we did not need to pay the heating bill, and that he would get somebody to fix the immersion. The following day, somebody came in, looked at it and said he would be back to fix it tomorrow. Haven't seen him since.

We read that it is a tenants right to hot water. Are we within our rights to refuse to pay rent until the situation is sorted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write to the landlord, explain that the situation is unacceptable, that you have had to impose on friends and family and that if it isn't sorted within X days, that you will be moving out and making complaints to the council housing department and the PRTB.

I would suggest X = 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Legally you can't hold back the rent. But 2 months? Thats someone taking you for a fool. I wouldn't have waited two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yeah, I dunno why we did wait that long tbh. Thanks for the advice, will send him an letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BostonB wrote: »
    Legally you can't hold back the rent. But 2 months? Thats someone taking you for a fool. I wouldn't have waited two months.

And legally he can't refuse to deal with the water issue so it is perfectly reaosnable to withhold rent.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    And legally he can't refuse to deal with the water issue so it is perfectly reaosnable to withhold rent.

Reasonable and legal are not one and the same thing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

You should use some of your rent money to pay for the boiler to be fixed and whatever is remaining you should give to your landlord. He can't really fight you because he had more than enough time to co-operate.

Not a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wonderwoman2

Yes a good idea would be to tell your landlord you will get it fixed and deduct it from your rent, see what he says then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

needadvi wrote: »
    You should use some of your rent money to pay for the boiler to be fixed and whatever is remaining you should give to your landlord. He can't really fight you because he had more than enough time to co-operate.

Thats a good idea, didn't think of that! Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

had a prob a few years ago whereby the LL didn't have the front door key. Wasn't too much hassle as we had a side entrance and side door. So we could use the back and side doors easily enough.

After 2 months of no key showing up I sent him a letter and the estate agent. I informed both that I would be getting a locksmith out and deducting from rent. I called out a locksmith 4 days later after no word from either party. Expensive enough but I didn't care. Deducted from rent, made a copies of receipt, kept original, send copy with a letter to both parties and paid the remainder of rent that month. No complaints or even a phone call about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement