Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M.A.I by research in Trinity

• 27-07-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has completed the MAI programme, after completing two Post Grad Diplomas?

I am interested in applying (closing date is Saturday) but I'd love to know the level of the work involved. Has any one any feedback?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

I heard a rumour that all BAIs will be automatically upgraded to MAIs when engineering becomes a 5 year degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Em no i dont think so. I think its just you can no longer get a hon BAI you either get an ordinary 1 or do the 5th year and get a MAI people who have already gotten their hon BAI through the 4 year course dont get upgraded.

And sorry i dont know how much work goes into a MAI by research...i would guess quiet a bit

The bachelor of divinity in some countries is considered a postgraduate qualification and some countries (New Zealand) award the MTh instead of a bachelors.

If engineering is to become a postgraduate qualification, existing BAIs will be considered inferior engineers and would have to be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

They wont have to be upgraded. It's to do with recognition by Engineers Ireland and eligibility to become a chartered engineer. Anyone who graduates from the year 2013 onwards will need at least a masters qualification to become chartered.

Admittedly, those graduating about now will find it more difficult in 2 years time, when someone just out of college will have a masters and they will only have a bachelors, but there will be no need to 'upgrade' existing bachelors to masters.

Anyway, BAs can be upgraded to MAs, so that should keep the IEI happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

You know the MA from trinity isnt recognised a postgrad qualification...its something that is given to a person to show they are in good standing with the college

And i think the idea is in 2 years time those with BAI hopefully would have experience to either put them equal or better than a masters...not that you have to worry there future Dr Mathew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Ah ye, two years experience would definitely stand over a masters in most cases.

And you're right about the MA.. that's effectively a 600euro piece of paper that shows you have a bit of experience outside the college that is recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

7 years later,

Any one carried out the MAI as an add on to the post grads?

Advertisement