Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ45 wall sockets question??

Options
  • 27-07-2011 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Can across installed rj45 wall sockets with some of the pins flattened in the actual socket so for example pin 8 was flat so the jack would never make contact with it and some others as well..still works for LAN because those cores are carried through..but why bother putting sockets that dont carry all 8 cores through....I assume there is some logic behind it all ..I know these cores are typically not needed but I needed pin8 carried through and it took a while to fiqure out what was going on..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

flattened by design,or flattened because someone pushed an rj11 into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Flattened by design I think?..do such sockets exist?..maybe someone flattened them.... struck me as odd ..when even bother fitting the pin in the first place if its not be used..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

SOunds odd, to be flattened by design... I have seen it in buildings where pushing an RJ11 plug into RJ45 socket can damage the outer pins

Maybe that pin isn't patched, and so is flat?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

never seen one of those before, can you manipulate the pins out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

I did push the pin back and yes was patched on the other side..I checked a few of the other sockets around the room,,they seemed similar..this does sound odd now if this is not an off the shelf part..certainly wasted a few hours of my time

• Advertisement
Advertisement