Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Music Serious Help Needed!

• 27-07-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi there, i'm going into 6th year in September and am doing HL Music as one of my subjects. I did J.C. Music and achieved a B in HL and am in Grade VIII (8) Piano. However, for some reason I just cannot wrap my head around Music for the Leaving Cert. It doesn't help that my teacher is a lazy b**ch and doesn't like doing work, i've tried listening to my set works we have done (only Tchaikovsky and a bit of Queen) but I always find the questions asked as so tricky and do not relate at all to the notes I have studied.

For my Summer Test we had to do a 16 bar melody with modulation, bass notes, chords etc. We also had a 25 marker for Tchaikovksy + 2 10 markers and a 10 marker on Queen. I genuinely thought i'd get an A1/A2, ended up with a B3..

I'm not too worried about my practical as I have a very high level of musicianship on the Piano. So, if anyone has any tips for L.C. Music please, please, please leave them here!. I am in dire need, and really have to get a B1+ next June.

Thanks in advance for any replies recieved!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

BUMP! Anyone?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Only advice I can offer you as a musician myself is to find and pay a good music tutor/musician to go through the theory parts you have difficulty with. Gumtree seems to have ads for music lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Having just done LC Music, I found these links very useful:

Irish Music Teachers Association:

http://www.ppmta.ie/

also

http://www.darablack.com/leavingcertmusic/notes.html

http://www.leavingcertmusic.com/pages/package.htm

Keep listening to those pieces and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Don't worry too much about the set works - they only make up 13.75% of the entire exam.

But to improve your marks in that section I'd advise getting the Music revision book for Leaving Cert by 'May Something' or 'Something May'. Not sure of her actual name, just remember that there is a May in it! It has good, concise notes to help you. The set works seem like a massive burden, but they're only worth such a small amount of marks!

Concentrate more on melodies and harmonies, and on your practical. That's 75% right there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

brian93 wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about the set works - they only make up 13.75% of the entire exam.

But to improve your marks in that section I'd advise getting the Music revision book for Leaving Cert by 'May Something' or 'Something May'. Not sure of her actual name, just remember that there is a May in it! It has good, concise notes to help you. The set works seem like a massive burden, but they're only worth such a small amount of marks!

Concentrate more on melodies and harmonies, and on your practical. That's 75% right there
    Thanks! Yeah I actually have this book "Rapid Revision" by May Costello!. Are we far behind in the Music Course?. So far we have done

- Tchaikovsky
    - Introduction Section 1 + 2 Queen
    - 16 Bar Melodies with modulation
    - Backing chords with suitable bass notes (v.simple ones though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Thanks! Yeah I actually have this book "Rapid Revision" by May Costello!. Are we far behind in the Music Course?. So far we have done

- Tchaikovsky
    - Introduction Section 1 + 2 Queen
    - 16 Bar Melodies with modulation
    - Backing chords with suitable bass notes (v.simple ones though)

No, don't worry, you're not behind! Start focusing on your practical from September, and try have it perfected by after Christmas. Your melodies and backing chords are probably ****e right now, but that's why it's a two year course and not one. Enjoy the summer, and worry about everything else when you go back. 9 months of it is tough, so don't make it 10 or 11 months by adding your summer months to the worry and misery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I found the music workbook for leaving cert by May Costello excellent would definately recommend

Advertisement