Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive furniture shops

Options
  • 27-07-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

So i went shopping for a new wardrobe. Came across a shop, curleys furniture shop, that had a sale. There was a wardrobe on sale at €265. It was €365. I thought it was a bargin with €100 off. Got them to knock off more and i got it at €250.
    Being in galway, there wasn't alot of places i could go. Feck all choice. Not alot of places to order online either. Decided to look up the name of the wardrobe online 3 days after buying it. There's a shop in tipperary that sells it at €235 and no sale. A shop in england that sells it at £189 and it was on sale. How much £189 in euros? Maybe €220? Now being in ireland i would expect shops to add on extra. Maybe an extra 20 or 30 euros. But an extra €130 before going on sale? Thats just taking the piss. Ok, i got it on sale. But i realise now that if its in any way a decent shop, its the price it should have been in the first place. Some sale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Moral of your story; check around before pulling the trigger.

Edited to add, it's not hard luck if you check around after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you were so concerned about the price you should have looked it up before you purchased. Nothing wrong with what the shop did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Alot of shops inflate the "was" price to make the "sale" price seem attractive... blame Harvey Norman for bringing this practice to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Danno wrote: »
    blame Harvey Norman for bringing this practice to Ireland.
    Its been going on LONG before they came here. It may never have been sold at the presale price. I know a guy who worked in furniture shops with permanent "sales" on in the early 90's, and said it had always been like that before he started. It is a legal requirement to have prices at a displayed price for a certain time, but I expect many places do not do this, the big boys probably stick to the law but it does not stop this practise.

Just look at the price and decide on the value yourself, you have only yourself to blame. if they had said it was orginally €2000 would you be even more pissed off?

Look at takeaway pizza, half price IS the normal price, you'd be a idiot to pay full menu prices. Don't take their word that you're getting a bargain.

Advertisement