Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.htaccess file problem

Options
  • 27-07-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,

My host has just changed over to a new platform and 5 of my sites are displaying the same error message on the homepage:

I've followed the solution provided but just get an error and homepage does not display whereas before following solution homepage loaded but an essential section of it is missing. Anyone know what could be the issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

What does the new error say with that value in .htaccess?

If it's just a 500 Server Error have a look in your error logs and see if there's anything more specific. It could be a syntax error in your htaccess file.

Have you tried:
    php_value allow_url_fopen  On

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

ocallagh wrote: »
    What does the new error say with that value in .htaccess?

If it's just a 500 Server Error have a look in your error logs and see if there's anything more specific. It could be a syntax error in your htaccess file.

Have you tried:
    php_value allow_url_fopen  On

I get the same 500 error as below

This is the origional .htaccess file and the website was displaying without any problems until two weeks ago:

2u61wlj.png

This is what is displayed when I type the address or click link in search engine results since website was migrated to new platform by host:

20hao2.png

When I replace the first line with the two below,

1zlxk75.png

I get the following result on the homepage:

105a68w.png

When I remove the comment #,

2vi146u.png

This is the 500 error I get:

18g3lj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Just sent you pm - you need to read it!

You need to find the error log. A 500 error like that will log detailed information to the server error logs. You can normally find these logs through your hosting control panel or by ftp'ing into your home directory and searching around for the error log.

My guess is that your Application/Framework/CMS (or whatever you're using) is generating the error in yellow below and is recommending to use php_value allow_url_fopen 1 in your .htaccess file, however your host doesn't support it maybe?

A few hosting companies I've been with won't allow it full stop. I'd recommend first finding the exact error in the error log, and then asking your hosting company to fix it.

Advertisement