Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarden

Options
  • 27-07-2011 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Does anyone know what is being built on the strandhill road near scarden. I've noticed that they are clearing a huge field on the left hand side when you drive out the road. Seems a bit mad if it's a housing estate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the gaa are doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

GAA centre of excellence.
    Some details below

http://sligogaa.ie/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleid=10803

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Toys Out Of The Pram

The GAA wasting yet more tax payers money.....

Hah?

We got the government flat out wasting tax payers money.

The GAA don't get a look in.

This development should be welcomed.

• Advertisement

Pete M. wrote: »
    Hah?

We got the government flat out wasting tax payers money.

The GAA don't get a look in.

This development should be welcomed.

Yeah the GAA take our money on every occasion they can get and if your lucky enough to not be forced into buying yet another raffle/lotto/ just give us more of your money ticket. Then the Government give them millions more on top of it....

Yeah the GAA take our money on every occasion they can get and if your lucky enough to not be forced into buying yet another raffle/lotto/ just give us more of your money ticket. Then the Government give them millions more on top of it....

:D

Wow!!

All you have to do is not go to games or buy lotto tickets mo chara :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Yup,I hate when they don't even give you an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

What taxpayers money, ya clown.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    What taxpayers money, ya clown.

The GAA receive millions every year from the gov.... Do some research you clown...
    Pete M. wrote: »
    :D

Wow!!

All you have to do is not go to games or buy lotto tickets mo chara :rolleyes:

Im sure you can guess I don't go to any games due to my hump in my back over the corruptness of the whole association. its just a pity you can't go on a night out with getting shoulder barged by some drunken thick headed footballere who can't keep there non sporting actions to the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The GAA receive millions every year from the gov.... Do some research you clown...

Im sure you can guess I don't go to any games due to my hump in my back over the corruptness of the whole association. its just a pity you can't go on a night out with getting shoulder barged by some drunken thick headed footballere who can't keep there non sporting actions to the pitch

Where exactly is the corruption in the GAA ?
    So you get shoulder charged by GAA players every night you are out, really !!

And for these reasons the centre of excellence in Sligo that is going to improve the standard of football and hurling in the County from every age group is a waste of tax payers money. At a time when players are being lost to emigration and clubs are starting to fade away all round the country .
    Regardless of your hatred towards the GAA the local GAA club is the focal point of most communities. IMO this is long overdue.

What about the IRFU and FAI who also get millions.
    Your posts get more daft every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Auxred

Thanks, now I know what's happening. This is certainly better than another half built housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In fairness, you'd be off your head to try to build a housing estate in these times, never mind get planning permission or money from the banks to build it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cashel Hill

Your username is apt alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The three major associations receive most of the money allocated by the Irish Sports Council, so its true to say tax payers money will go into this project just as it has to the Aviva Stadium and many other sport/recreation projects.

This particular one seems like a waste of resources to me.

How do you know taxpayers money is going into it? Any link?
    Waste of resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Unfortunately for the GAA, Sligo will always be a town dominated by soccer. So I question the wisdom of locating such a facility in the town itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Unfortunately for the GAA, Sligo will always be a town dominated by soccer. So I question the wisdom of locating such a facility in the town itself.
    its outside the borough boundary. therefore out side the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

its outside the borough boundary. therefore out side the town..

For some reason I thought it was up in St. Mary's direction.

• Advertisement

How do you know taxpayers money is going into it? Any link?
    Waste of resources?
    The GAA receive large amounts of funding from the Irish Sports Council, who receive their money from the Government. The Government receive money from the taxpayer.
    Money is being spent on a facility which has no real benefit to anyone. I class this as a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The GAA receive large amounts of funding from the Irish Sports Council, who receive their money from the Government. The Government receive money from the taxpayer.
    Money is being spent on a facility which has no real benefit to anyone. I class this as a waste of resources.

The whole idea of the venture is to have a central point for training, coaching and other facilities for all GAA clubs, Senior and Junior in Co Sligo across the board i.e Football and Hurling. I think this will have massive benefits for hundreds of current players and up and coming young sports stars and if we get a decent County Team out of it to boot then its an added bonus (because they're useless so far).

AgileMyth wrote: »

You have failed to give evidence on whether taxpayers money has gone into this project? How do you know if it has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cashel Hill

You have failed to give evidence on whether taxpayers money has gone into this project? How do you know if it has?
    He's a Rovers fan, suspect that has more to do with it than any concern about the taxpayer.

I doubt he is. He probably a sky sports in the pub fan like most soccer "supporters" in Sligo town.
    I have no problem with rovers support.
    Anyway, the money for this welcome development is coming from the GAA from the money they made on renting Croke Park

Someone else suggested it was taxpayers money. I just stated that the GAA do receive money from the Government. This is common knowledge so I see no reason to prove it. I've also said that the FAI and IRFU receive money from the Government in the same way.

Gipo3 I'm a Sligo Rovers season ticket holder. Don't follow a team from outside Ireland. What was your point there?

Advertisement