Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many new housing estates are getting planning permission?

Options
  • 27-07-2011 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I'm finding it difficult to come up with an answer to my query. Im trying to find out how many new housing developments have been given planning permission across the country so far this year or in the last 12 months. I would also like some statistics on how many developments have applied for planning permission and have been refused and what are the most common reasons.

We are currently objecting to phase 1 of a small development of 22 houses in our small village which we believe has no need for these houses. Our house will be surrounded by the development and we worry that it will become another ghost estate.

Any info would be grately appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think those figures are available. Most councils do publish a list of applications, rejections, grants and appeals. The CSO does publish some data on planning permissions. www.cso.ie

However, you need to demonstrate that the proposal is unacceptable on planning grounds. Your proposed line of attack may only be a diversion, not substantive and ultimately you may be unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I'm finding it difficult to come up with an answer to my query. Im trying to find out how many new housing developments have been given planning permission across the country so far this year or in the last 12 months. I would also like some statistics on how many developments have applied for planning permission and have been refused and what are the most common reasons.

We are currently objecting to phase 1 of a small development of 22 houses in our small village which we believe has no need for these houses. Our house will be surrounded by the development and we worry that it will become another ghost estate.

Any info would be grately appreciated thanks

I have to ask who in their right mind would try and start a development of 22 houses in any village in Clare or Tipp at the moment ?

Unless this is just some ruse to try and up the future value of the land I can't see any houses being built anytime soon.

I would guess most of the planning applications would be for one off houses at the moment.
    I have heard that supposedly it has gotten easier to getting planning since County Councils desperately need cash and the glory days of developers turning up with wads of the stuff for planning here, there and everywhere have long gone.
    Again this is just anecdotal.

Check out An Bord Pleanala website for lists of appeals and it gives indications of planning applications that it is handling.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/publications/index.htm

Also do check on your local County Council website, as all of them now should have online planning searches.
    They are cumbersome, some more so, and some of the older applications would not have associated documents online, but it is very useful.
    Also look through the reasons given for awarding permission or denying permission to similar planning request to the one you are dealing with.

Also check out County development plan as to what areas they were pushing for development.

Try and search either on line or in Council itself what sites got planning in the surrounding towns and villages and whether they have actually been developed.
    The more undeveloped sites, the more reason not to give anyone planning for a new development.
    It will give indication as to how much planned yet undeveloped sites there are in the county.

I am not allowed discuss …

How many vacant properties in your county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks jmayo for all that information, certainly gives me a place to start looking. Im really just curious more than using the information in our objection.

jmayo wrote: »
    I have to ask who in their right mind would try and start a development of 22 houses in any village in Clare or Tipp at the moment ?

Unless this is just some ruse to try and up the future value of the land I can't see any houses being built anytime soon.

And the 22 are just the first planned phase, 29 more in the second, a bit much for such a small village off the beaten track. The land is being reviewed under the new North Tipp developmet plan and is possibly going to be rezoned as serviced sites or argicultural resulting in huge losses for the company who bought the field for a huge sum a few years ago. We are hopeful that they have no intention to build, just want to permission to keep the zoning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement