Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years - what's the first day of TY like?

• 27-07-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

The TY thread doesn't seem to very active so I thought I'd post this in here instead :)

I was just wondering for Ty's that are now going into 5th year,what is the first day of Transistion Year like? Do you do much on the first day and did you have the same teachers as you had the previous year?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

It all depends on your school. Wish I'd never did TY at times, especially when I reached 6th year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

You do nothing, the same as you'll be doing for a large proportion of the year. Sign up for every possible module/ activity or else you'll be seriously bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I never did TY but according to those I know who did you do nothing throughout the entire year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The counter the claims about, I've never done TY either, but I've heard of people doing it who loved it, got a good broader outlook on life, and had a very enjoyable year before going into Leaving Cert.

I wouldn't expect it'd be overly academically tough, but then again it's never advertised to be that. The work experience element in TY (if that's on your school's programme) is the most valuable aspect of it, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

My first day of TY was quite similar to the first day of any other year - we got put into classes, got to know our form tutors, made seating arrangements, etc. But then after lunch we had a drama workshop :)

And to the people who say you do nothing - I honestly don't feel like we "did nothing" in TY in my school. Not all of it was exactly academic, but everyone in my year had a great time, and we had some very fun and interesting modules/workshops/trips/guest speakers. I found a box of TY stuff when I was cleaning out my room, and I'd forgotten how much we actually did, and it made me miss the year terribly! For me, it was a brilliant experience, and all of my friends would say the same. Of course, there was also a bit of dossing around doing nothing, but it was hardly a constant thing. TY is different in every school, the programme in my school was excellent, but I also know of people in other schools that didn't do half as much as we did. Make the most of it in any case, I'd love to be starting TY again! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

They stuffed us all in the gym for a good bonding session for the whole day. Speech and drama and all those "getting to know eachother" games. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I personally loved TY. I didn't sign up to do everthing possible but I did do a few things. The relaxed attitude of the year was nice in my opinion but it's hard to ajust from it at the start of 5th year. In my school most teachers started the courses and it wasn't a complete doss. In History, French and Chemistry we did a good bit. Overall I felt 4th year was good for getting to talk to new people and it really opened up the year group in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    The TY thread doesn't seem to very active so I thought I'd post this in here instead :)

I was just wondering for Ty's that are now going into 5th year,what is the first day of Transistion Year like? Do you do much on the first day and did you have the same teachers as you had the previous year?

Thanks in advance :)

It was like going into any new school year, really. New lockers, new timetable, new tutor, new 6th year prefect, that kind of stuff. Our base classes were re-shuffled too, and we had different Maths and Irish classes after the Junior Cert results. We also had a presentation overview of TY from the TY co-ordinator and stuff. We didn't do much that day but had a pretty active TY :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Don't do TY. Biggest waste of time ever, and you will most likely go into 5th year with 0 motivation. I regret every doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

Wish I'd never did TY at times, especially when I reached 6th year.

Makes two of us. . . I'd have my first year of college done now, rather than have to wait to see if I've even gotten in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Without doubt it was the best year of my life. The first day was uneventful, but after that it just got better and better, various projects and stuff brought about a true 'transition'.

I think my school has a good name for TY though, could be very different in other schools.

Advertisement