Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords League Race #16 - Ardcath

• 27-07-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

Missed this as I was too busy to get over. Any results and tales? It seemed like the weather was changing for the worst coming up to the start time.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah - decided to give Group 3 a go this week. Was shocked by the lack of effort and co-ordination so left them behind on Ardcath first time round. Caught groups 2 and 1 on the 2nd lap, and led them around to Ardcath again. Shot off the front and soloed the last lap to take the victory

Bit of a surprise really, as I thought I would struggle after last night's efforts in the vets race. Seems like everything''s coming together nicely though

this may, or indeed may not, be a complete fabrication ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah - decided to give Group 3 a go this week. Was shocked by the lack of effort and co-ordination so left them behind on Ardcath first time round. Caught groups 2 and 1 on the 2nd lap, and led them around to Ardcath again. Shot off the front and soloed the last lap to take the victory

Bit of a surprise really, as I thought I would struggle after last night's efforts in the vets race. Seems like everything''s coming together nicely though

this may, or indeed may not, be a complete fabrication ...

If it's not fabricated then you are my new hero! No usual stats from you leads me sadly to doubt your "success"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The groups were combined and group 3 really was all over the pace. Time gaps kept changing too. 4 min, 2min, 3min, 2.5min, 3min. Could easily have been because of the way the group was yoyoing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    If it's not fabricated then you are my new hero! No usual stats from you leads me sadly to doubt your "success"...
    If the rains had come earlier, who knows what might have happened;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Missed this as I was too busy to get over. Any results and tales? It seemed like the weather was changing for the worst coming up to the start time.

Bit of a messy night, although the heavy rain held off which was good.
    Headed off with the first groups, 1 & 2, got dropped early with a couple other guys. Legs were burning way too early, not enough of a warm up, but also found the pace high to start. Never did this circuit so didn't know what to expect.

Myself & another guy worked together for the first lap, until the climb at the end when I went a little ahead.
    Does race etiquette differ from normal club spins, i.e. should I have waited at this stage?

In hindsight, I probably should have, as 2 work better than one & I was never gonna catch the original group ahead.

Got caught by the next group into the 2nd lap but punctured the rear shortly afterwards when I hit a pothole after a bit of a late call from the front, too late to avoid it.

Replaced tube & eventually got enough pressure up (mini pump). Rode on towards the end, too late to try a third lap.

Got caught by a group of about 8 guys just before the final drag, but couldn't stay with them.

One of the marshals told me to keep going & I'd get 9th position, not knowing I was only on my 2nd lap :)

Eventually got swallowed by the remaining group(s) at the finish.

A testing circuit, with a good (but tough) finish.

Thanks to the marshals & all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Not too much to report , bullet points may work best

The Race
    -There was a race
    -There was rain
    -There was combined groups
    -There was disorganisation
    -There was riding through way too hard
    -There were slippy road surfaces
    -There was inconsistent times reported of group in front
    -There was no catching said group
    -There was a winner Lusk Doyle should never find out who this person was

The main point
    -There was enjoyment

The Stats
    -There was avg pace of 36 km/ph

The Thanks
    -Thanks to the marshalls and all involved

The take home Lesson
    -Riding through too hard is as useful as sitting at back doing nothing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dario28 wrote: »
    -Riding through too hard is as useful as sitting at back doing nothing

Took you 'til race 16 to work that one out ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Took you 'til race 16 to work that one out ;)

actuallllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Its my 3rd race in the history of me , if you read last weeks report , I realised it then , so it took 1 race to figure it out as my first race was in group 2 which was highly organised !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dario28 wrote: »
    actuallllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Its my 3rd race in the history of me , if you read last weeks report , I realised it then , so it took 1 race to figure it out as my first race was in group 2 which was highly organised !

Only kidding ...

Some guy's have been racing for 10 years and have still to work that one out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

Found it tough in Group 3 and 4 (the second group). Did some hill work on Monday night so the legs were still a bit sore. Found other guys tippin past me on the hills (feckin hate that!):mad:. Heart rate hit 190 at one stage (max theoretically is 186! (apparantly)).

No work this week in the group again. Twice there were good signs of turning over, but it all fell apart. Think the mix of Group 4 and 3 riders might have created a bit of a difference in the riders to keep up etc.

Glad I hung in though - will help next time around. Pity there's only a few weeks left. Liked that circuit. Some drags and a 12% incline, but fast everywhere else.

Marshalls and organisers, as usual, great job:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

My report as per training log....

I hadn't done this circuit before so I didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be a very fast circuit...just a pitty my balls shrivel up in the wet It had been a really really nice day and then on the way out it started coming down. I did contemplate turning around and going home-last thing I want is a fall and injury or worse a broken bike! Especially with training going so well and Lough Neagh Tri this weekend. Anyway I didn't, it's all about getting out of your comfort zone so I pressed on. My aims were:

1. Stay upright
    2. Try and stay with group 3
    3. Try and help the group with turns at the top.

I was fine on the main road but on the more narrow back roads were tricky. Every time there was a decent I went out at the back of the grou, losing up to 20m at times, I'd have to work hard to get back on then, but I did every time. Then when we got back to the main road I made sure to do a turn at the front. We never got anything going but I was too concerned with my own personal aims. Did 5/6 turns at the front, worked hard to get onto the group again after decents and corners, wasn't going to challenge any sprint had there been one - that was my story for the night. Sorry to the lads for not having been of more use. Would love to do this course in dry conditions.

Met Dario after, nice to meet you dude. Thanks again to the marshals and organisers for another safe race. Glad I did it, it's all experience in the bag.

Stats (includes warm down)

Time 1:15:31
    Dist 44.7km
    HR 153/179
    Cad 81rpm
    Speed 36/59.6km/hr

WHO WON THE BLEEDIN RACE???????

Too many posts but no results make homer something something :mad:

My report from last night detailing why I got dropped on the first lap in order of decreasing importance. :)

1. Was on a training bike with a malfunctioning front derailleur (wouldn't shift into big ring) with an 8 speed cassette.
    2. The brakes on the bike aren't great and the slick roads meant I was being very cagey on bends and was getting dropped off the back.
    3. Cadence averages of 125 on the flat and 140+ on the downhills were killing me.
    4. I hadn't done a club league race for 3 weeks and had been off the bike for 2 until last Friday.
    5. Was at burrow beach for about 3 hours during the day and the sun had drained me.
    6. I forgot my water bottle but got a loan of one off Fergal whom I promised to return it to after the race (currently still residing in my bottle cage 24 hours later).
    7. I wasn't man enough to endure the suffering and pain.

My report from last night detailing why I got dropped on the first lap in order of decreasing importance. :)

1. Was on a training bike with a malfunctioning front derailleur (wouldn't shift into big ring) with an 8 speed cassette.
    2. The brakes on the bike aren't great and the slick roads meant I was being very cagey on bends and was getting dropped off the back.
    3. Cadence averages of 125 on the flat and 140+ on the downhills were killing me.
    4. I hadn't done a club league race for 3 weeks and had been off the bike for 2 until last Friday.
    5. Was at burrow beach for about 3 hours during the day and the sun had drained me.
    6. I forgot my water bottle but got a loan of one off Fergal whom I promised to return it to after the race (currently still residing in my bottle cage 24 hours later).
    7. I wasn't man enough to endure the suffering and pain.

0.1. You are a pansy!

0.1. You are a pansy!

go way our dat, you didnt even make the race you. :D (you smiling for the camera)

Is the result a state secret or something?

Imagine cycling news "The Swords Club League was held on Wednesday. That is all."

Is the result a state secret or something?

Imagine cycling news "The Swords Club League was held on Wednesday. That is all."

I've edited my report accordingly !

Advertisement