Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packet Loss

Options
  • 27-07-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Recently ive been unable to play certain games online and the ones i can lag to the point were its unplayable, so i did a ping test at Pingtest.net. My connection received a B, but it failed the packet loss test.

Taken from the website:
    What is packet loss?
    Much as it sounds, if you have anything less than complete success in transmitting and receiving "packets" of data then you are experiencing this problem with your Internet connection. It can mean much slower download and upload speeds, poor quality VoIP audio, pauses with streaming media and what seems like time warping in games -- your connection may even come to a total standstill! Packet loss is a metric where anything greater than 0% should cause concern.

So i'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? ...because until a few days ago everything was running perfect, is there anything i can do to improve/fix this? or is it just a problem on eircoms side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Packet loss is often a symptom of network congestion. If an upstream router is experiencing congestion, it will often silently drop packets in order to maintain an overall quality of service.
    Stateless protocols, like UDP, which is used for video/audio streaming and multiplayer gaming, suffer as the protocol doesn't have any way to recognise that packets are being dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

iimpulsive wrote: »
    Recently ive been unable to play certain games online and the ones i can lag to the point were its unplayable, so i did a ping test at Pingtest.net. My connection received a B, but it failed the packet loss test.

Taken from the website:
    What is packet loss?
    Much as it sounds, if you have anything less than complete success in transmitting and receiving "packets" of data then you are experiencing this problem with your Internet connection. It can mean much slower download and upload speeds, poor quality VoIP audio, pauses with streaming media and what seems like time warping in games -- your connection may even come to a total standstill! Packet loss is a metric where anything greater than 0% should cause concern.

So i'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? ...because until a few days ago everything was running perfect, is there anything i can do to improve/fix this? or is it just a problem on eircoms side?

Hi iimpulsive
    if you PM me your telephone number I can have this tested for you and should be able to advise and hopefully resolve issue.
    Tony

Advertisement