Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Mastitis

• 27-07-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I've two suckler cows with swollen teats (1 with 1 swollen teat and another with two swollen teats)
    What's my best way to deal with them?
    I'm led to believe limiting grass, giving appropriate antibiotics, drawing the swollen teat and applying cheno unction on the swollen teat are the way to go.
    Any advice would be appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

locky76 wrote: »
    I've two suckler cows with swollen teats (1 with 1 swollen teat and another with two swollen teats)
    I'm led to believe limiting grass, giving appropriate antibiotics, drawing the swollen teat and applying cheno unction on the swollen teat are the way to go.

Sounds like you are being well advised.....and that August will be a very long month for you.

Full sympathy, horrible condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Just finished treating a cow, like you outlined. Slow racket, it gets to the stage that the cow hates being got in for treatment.
    I've been putting pour on and stockholm tar on dry cows and springers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Bizzum wrote: »
    Just finished treating a cow, like you outlined. Slow racket, it gets to the stage that the cow hates being got in for treatment.
    I've been putting pour on and stockholm tar on dry cows and springers too.
    What antibiotic should i use bizzum?

Jaysus man, do you want Lost Covey to lose all reason!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

It's spread by flies. Remove the affected cows from others, put with bullocks if necessary. Where feasible avoid grazing near fly spots- rivers and woods. Fly repellant on the remainder of the dry cows should help too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Bizzum wrote: »
    Jaysus man, do you want Lost Covey to lose all reason!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Good one Bizzum! I am in regular counselling now, and working on self-restraint. Deep breaths and all that. And chanting.

But I think the truth is that the particular antibiotic probably isn't as important as keeping her "milked out" to keep her from getting sicker. Nothing will bring the quarter back.

LC

Losing a quarter would be the least of my worries.
    I've seen cows get very sick with mastitis. I wouldn't like to be trying to treat it without antibiotics.
    We found bathing the quarter in hot water helped too. The cow seemed to like it and it made drawing her out a bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭leoch

are young heifers not in calf at risk ,alot of flies in our area i done them this week wit coopers spot on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Yes, and even bullocks with their accessory teats, though very rare.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

greysides wrote: »
    Yes, and even bullocks with their accessory teats, though very are.
    saw it years ago , never thought i would have to strig out a bullock:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

ya the last case of dry mastits i had i was drawing the swollen teat and using a mastits tube i got in vets then a man told me to buy a real good mastits tube so i went into vets and asked for a real good mastits tube and it cost me 8 euros. it was a long acting mastits tube and works for two days it cured the cow of the infection but cow lost the teat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have a cull cow that was dried last week with summer mastitis today... fook it anyways , at least she's a cull... think we might have to cut the spin off to relieve the pressure she is under yucky job! at least the poision will be gone out of the bag then , will put her on antibiotics for a few days also. she's quite sick

I'd suggest antibiotics for a few days before considering amputating the spin. It allows the blood flow to the region to drop down a bit to reduce the bleeding. Slitting the teat also works.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

tylosin

Advertisement