Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling jersey

• 27-07-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,
    My 14 year old nephew is getting into road racing,would anyone know of anywhere i could get him a jersey for his birthday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

A cycle shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Cycleways has the An Post Ireland gear - a small should do him. They also have some team kits.

You could also try some of the online retailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

glennbhoy wrote: »
    A cycle shop?
    Funny man, but i have tried a few local ones and nobody has any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

bizzyb wrote: »
    Seriously? Where are you? Any bike shop I've ever seen has at least a few cycle jerseys, shorts etc. even halfords!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

kenmc wrote: »
    Seriously? Where are you? Any bike shop I've ever seen has at least a few cycle jerseys, shorts etc. even halfords!
    A few shops I've been in don't have anything decent. Or anything decent that isn't extortionately priced. The stuff in halfords is Gakk.

Actually buying clothes for a 14 year old could be a minefield. A hat might be a safer bet. http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?typ=typ&ID=39

Just don't buy a yellow one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A small Sean Kelly team jersey should fit (they are very small fitting).
    Decathalon up in Holywood outside belfast do a good range of kids/adolescents cycling gear. The other place I've seen stuff occasionally is TKmax.
    Marrey cycles on-line do a good enough range too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Don't buy it, he won't wear it. You can't even buy clothes for a teenager let alone an aspiring bike racer. (Its a fashion thing with them and road racers take it to the n'th degree.
    I suggest you get him to pick one out on ebay or wherever and you pay.
    Best value is probably a long sleeved jersey or winter jacket as we don't really get too many days for the short sleeves.

A few shops I've been in don't have anything decent. Or anything decent that isn't extortionately priced. The stuff in halfords is Gakk.
    But that's not what the OP said:
    I agree that halfords stuff is gakk, but they do sell cycling jerseys, which was all the OP asked for.

• Advertisement

Best value is probably a long sleeved jersey or winter jacket as we don't really get too many days for the short sleeves.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    jaysus. been out of the winter kit since april thank fcuk, don't expect to see it again until october!

kenmc wrote: »
    But that's not what the OP said:

I agree that halfords stuff is gakk, but they do sell cycling jerseys, which was all the OP asked for.
    I wasn't taking her post absolutely literally. I presumed her post could mean there were (a) none or (b) none that were acceptable.
    I forgot* this was the internet and everything must be taken literally.

*not to be taken literally.

Anyways I'm fairly sure 2 of the 3 bike shops in Dundalk don't sell jerseys, so scenario (a) could be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

HTFU, or get a pair of those arm warmer things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A jersey is the one thing I wouldn't buy, as it's the most difficult to pick style-wise, and he'll be racing in club gear anyway (presumably).

Bib shorts and arm warmers are pretty safe. Maybe overshoes. And socks, lots of socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just don't buy him a yellow one.

http://www.trikotexpress.de/

Hadn't seen this site before - clicked on it - you owe me 60 euro:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Hi,
    My 14 year old nephew is getting into road racing,would anyone know of anywhere i could get him a jersey for his birthday?

Hi Bizzyb

Just in case :rolleyes: you get the wrong advice on here can you be a bit more specific?
    "getting into road racing" could mean that he's following Pro racing on TV but doesnt actually have a road/racing bike, hasn't joined a club, or is racing. If you buy a team jersey/shorts, they will be specifically and only suitable for use while on a road bike, insofar as they have extended rear hem and rears pockets etc. If its a replica jersey (ala Soccer/Rugby replica jerseys etc) that you are looking for, you may want to reconsider, as the cycling team jerseys are going to look decidedly naff for 'casual wear (and a 14 y.o WONT wear them). There may be other replica stuff you could get in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

if he is really into it , then club together with other relatives and spend the money on a bright luminous jacket.
    Safety beats style any day .
    If he is 14 and doesnt want to wear it, make him, and tell him all the people making comments are only jealous they arent cycling like him.
    plus tell him girls think cyclists are sexy in the shorts and the bright colours just add to their individuality and appeal :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

if he is really into it , then club together with other relatives and spend the money on a bright luminous jacket.
    Safety beats style any day .
    If he is 14 and doesnt want to wear it, make him, and tell him all the people making comments are only jealous they arent cycling like him.
    plus tell him girls think cyclists are sexy in the shorts and the bright colours just add to their individuality and appeal :-)
    It won't work. He's 14. He'll cycle to a mate's house and leave the jacket there.

If I was a 14-year old looking for cycling gear, I'd be looking for a plain black jacket, or one which matches the colour of my bike (assuming my bike isn't bright orange or yellow).

Actually come to think of it, as a 29-year old that's still how I make my purchases.

A summer/autumn rain jacket is probably the best thing you could get him. Bring him to a bike shop and let him pick it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Depending on where he is sign him up for one of the remaining An Post events.

Waterford, 28th Aug
    http://www.theseankellytour.com/

Cork, 10th Sept http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/2011anpostrebeltour

Both of these have 50k routes which might suit and he gets a souvenir jersey included in the entry fee.

Advertisement