Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding mother try to ruin cinema !

Options
  • 27-07-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

The cinema in Mahon point, cork have screenings for mothers who can take their babies/toddlers etc to see a film, instead of being couped up at home. good for the mothers to get out and well done to mahon for doing it. i think other cinema's do it. they call it the big "scream"
    However "some" of the breast feeding mothers have complained as a Formula manufacturer sponsors it :eek: by what way they sponsor it i'm not sure but the following was issued to the mailing list of people who subscribe to the "big scream".
    Would they not just shut up and ignore the formula sponsorship !! do they not realise some mothers just cannot breast feed, either due to medical conditions/physical conditions etc......good god :confused: ..........rant over !

Hi everyone,

A number of patrons have contacted us with concerns regarding SMA's sponsorship of the Movies 4 Mums screenings, because they are a formula manufacturer. A small number of patrons feel this is off putting for some mums who breast feed.

We would like to re-assure everyone SMA fully support breastfeeding and formula feeding, and their sponsorship of these screenings is not just about promoting formula. The experts SMA have at these screenings will be there to provide all inclusive advice, giving advice on breastfeeding, formula feeding and any other nutritional advice you may need.

Indeed, to highlight SMA's support for breastfeeding, you will find attached an extract from a manual which was handed out free of charge to the patrons who attended the Movies 4 Mum screening this morning. You will see that breastfeeding is clearly encouraged by SMA as the first half of the manual is about breastfeeding, indeed the first section is titled 'Breast is Best'.
    You will also find attached a leaflet specifically about breastfeeding which was handed out this morning aswell.

I again re-assure you all that both Omniplex and SMA are in full support of every woman's right to choose how they wish to feed their babies, and the intention of this sponsorship is to enhance the experience of those in attendance by providing support and nutritional advice to all of our patrons, whatever their choice in this regard may be.

For any of you who are still concerned that formula feeding is being prioritised with this sponsorship, I would encourage you to attend a screening and speak with the nutritionist so you can see what is involved. If you still have concerns at that stage please don't hesitate to bring them to our attention.

Thank you for your continued support and as always all comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

One thing I hate about the modern world is that advertisers move Heaven and Earth to put their message in front of you, they collect and trade every single little detail about your personal life for huge money and customise their approach to you, their 'target market' to manipulate your every (sub)conscious desire to weasle you out of every ****!ng penny they can.

Of course, they just want to do business, and there is nothing wrong with that, don't misunderstand me, and of course if there are young mothers there will be ads for breast formula and the like but this 'Movies 4 Moms' thing sounded like some sort of 'community spirit' thing and some of them probably feel kind of 'tricked', it's all some cynical underhand thing just to shift more units, end of.

Most people are immune to advertising I think, but I still hate feeling like a fish in a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've read your post a few times and I'm still not sure what your point is. You go to this screening, it is sponsored by SMA, some of the breastfeeding mothers object and the cinema send out a letter to the mothers with SMA's usual spiel about being supportive of breastfeeding.

Have I missed something? The screening is still taking place isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm confused too?!?! Personally I think it's seriously duplicitous and even contradictory from a business perspective for a formula feeding company to say they fully support breastfeeding. That's like an alcohol drinks company saying they fully support teetotalism and distribute literature on how to stay sober.

I'd imagine the breastfeeding mothers would prefer that the screenings weren't sponsored by a formula manufacturer and they voiced their opinions. Such is democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

deemark wrote: »
    I've read your post a few times and I'm still not sure what your point is. You go to this screening, it is sponsored by SMA, some of the breastfeeding mothers object and the cinema send out a letter to the mothers with SMA's usual spiel about being supportive of breastfeeding.

Have I missed something? The screening is still taking place isn't it?

I think the point is that the women should stop complaining about who sponsors it and enjoy the movie? :D

The point of advertising is to try and convince you to buy a product. if you're happy with whatever way you're feeding your baby seeing the letters SMA shouldn't really pose a problem should it? So what's the harm in who sponsors it, it's not as if the babies are going to demand formula as soon as they see it :D

I think the point is that the women should stop complaining about who sponsors it and enjoy the movie? :D

The point of advertising is to try and convince you to buy a product. if you're happy with whatever way you're feeding your baby seeing the letters SMA shouldn't really pose a problem should it? So what's the harm in who sponsors it, it's not as if the babies are going to demand formula as soon as they see it :D

In fairness, with the cinema, they have a captive audience who have already decided how to feed their babies, so I'd imagine the complaints related to the all-pervasive normalisation of formula feeding and the strengthening of the association of that company with motherhood. We all know advertising works on all types of levels. If it didn't, they wouldn't bother doing it.

This thread was started by someone complaining about someone complaining and she started the same thread in another forum too. You're right, she should just enjoy the movie. It hasn't been affected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

In fairness, with the cinema, they have a captive audience who have already decided how to feed their babies, so I'd imagine the complaints related to the all-pervasive normalisation of formula feeding and the strengthening of the association of that company with motherhood. We all know advertising works on all types of levels. If it didn't, they wouldn't bother doing it.

This thread was started by someone complaining about someone complaining and she started the same thread in another forum too. You're right, she should just enjoy the movie. It hasn't been affected.

I don't know what form the complaints took, I didn't see any of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

totaly agree with your first point.. people have already decided about how they will feed their child before the even go to cinema with a new born.
    the thread starter is a Male !, and i was complaining about the fact that someone was giving out about a formula maker sonsoring the cinema. IF they are so worried about the negative impact of SMA and the likes, get your nipple cream makers to sponsor the cinema. it was a petty moan, more like something from Joe duffy.
    And so what if it was started on another forum? it applies to the cork city forum, and this toddler one !!!

scuby wrote: »
    totaly agree with your first point.. people have already decided about how they will feed their child before the even go to cinema with a new born.
    the thread starter is a Male !, and i was complaining about the fact that someone was giving out about a formula maker sonsoring the cinema. IF they are so worried about the negative impact of SMA and the likes, get your nipple cream makers to sponsor the cinema. it was a petty moan, more like something from Joe duffy.
    And so what if it was started on another forum? it applies to the cork city forum, and this toddler one !!!

Apologies for getting the gender wrong:o

SMA cannot directly advertise formula, so sponsoring an event like this is a way of getting around it. I'd imagine that breastfeeding mothers are annoyed at the association of formula with motherhood. As for nipple cream manufacturers sponsoring the showing, sure it wouldn't be worth their while - it's a product only used by some breastfeeding mothers and one can't be persuaded to switch to it!

None of those breastfeeding mothers are on here complaining about the sponsorship - instead, you are complaining (twice) about others complaining - Joe Duffy would love this!

I mention the other forum as I thought there was a rule about posting the same topic in two forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

not really complaining, just thought it was quite "childish" by the few people that complained about the sponsorship. They should just get over it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

To be honest I'm not entirely sure it belongs here at all. But it's here now so I'll leave it open as long as it stays civil.

However I will also report your thread on Cork City and arrange to have the threads merged or one locked. Pick one forum next time.

I mention the other forum as I thought there was a rule about posting the same topic in two forums.
    There's also a rule about reporting posts that you feel should be reported. Try that instead next time.

With my mod hat off I completely agree with the rest of your post deemark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

IMO it sounds like some people complaining for the sake of it! It is really childish to be moaning about it TBH

Everything is sponsored these days, SMA is a infant/baby company. Shouldn't people feel grateful for something to do rather than sitting at home facing the four walls. It is nice of them to do it, since that is money they could keep as profits!

I did not use SMA for my child and I am not easily led by adverts so it wouldn't bother me.

I am a non drinker, but it does not mean I would boycott Qxegen even if it is sponsored by Bacardi and Heineken.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Everything is sponsored these days, SMA is a infant/baby company. Shouldn't people feel grateful for something to do rather than sitting at home facing the four walls. It is nice of them to do it, since that is money they could keep as profits!

I wish I lived in your world, where multi-national multi-million corporations do things to be nice!

I wish I lived in your world, where multi-national multi-million corporations do things to be nice!

They try to promote their product yes, but they could pay money to RTE for adverts, or give vouchers for €1 off their product, but instead they have provided a service that get mothers out and provides children and mothers with company.

You don't see Danone/Renault/Arnotts doing it for us!

They try to promote their product yes, but they could pay money to RTE for adverts, or give vouchers for €1 off their product, but instead they have provided a service that get mothers out and provides children and mothers with company.

They can't advertise or discount the price of it! The advertising of formula for under 6 month old babies is banned. That's why they've come up with follow-on milks etc. Sponsorship is a way around this and I'm not even sure if that's allowed, which is probably why the breastfeeding mums complained in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Would they not just shut up and ignore the formula sponsorship !! do they not realise some mothers just cannot breast feed, either due to medical conditions/physical conditions etc......good god :confused: ..........rant over !

That doesn't make any sense - unless you're suggesting that mothers who are unable to breastfeed for a medical reason wouldn't know of the existence of formula milk and thus them seeing an ad for it in cinema is of benefit.

Assuming that the minority of mothers who are in that situation have heard of formula milk - I think that's a pretty safe assumption - then what medical benefit is advertising it?

The point of those adverts is not to appeal to people who are forced to formula feed - you don't need to advertise to them, they're already forced to do it - but to get people who may choose to formula feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You don't see Danone/Renault/Arnotts doing it for us!
    You think they don't pay the cinema for the sponsorship? They are most certainly not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Orion wrote: »
    You think they don't pay the cinema for the sponsorship? They are most certainly not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

No one is stupid enough to think they are doing it for the sake of it, they get tax breaks and it is advertising for them. But you don't see other companies offering to do it. It is advertising that gives something to the consumer also!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You'd swear this event had been sponsored by Philip Morris. :p

Ach, what of it? The poorer women are the only ones who'll buy the SMA, while the women of status will carry on breastfeeding.

At least that's what all the reliable research tells us. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Can I just say that having been to a few of these screenings that I had no idea that it was sponsored by anyone. Its not like the ads they show before the film starts are only SMA or other baby products - its the same ads and trailers they show before any other screening. So as far as I can see the only place the sponsorship is mentioned must be on the e-mail which I haven't even subscribed to.

Storm in a teacup if you ask me. I'd imagine that if the cinema were going to stop showing the films it would be because only a handful of people actually go, and not because an anti-SMA person campaigned to stop it. I went 3-4 times while on mat leave and there was never more than 20 at the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Adhamh wrote: »

Most people are immune to advertising I think, but I still hate feeling like a fish in a barrel.

Thats why billions of euros are spent on advertising the world over. They advertise and promote these things because advertising and promotion work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

That's ridiculous, I don't understand why people who breast feed have such anger towards formula, not all of them obviously but I personally know one woman who breastfed who would literally nearly fly into a rage if she saw on ad for formula companies.

I think its 'ridiculous' that people assume a formula company would sponsor a cinema event out of altuism.

I breastfeed my baby, I don't care how other women feed their babies but I do feel uncomfortable when I see formula companies sponsoring family and baby events. A well known brand of formula sponsored the first mother and baby event in RDS in 2010 which meant that there was virtually no promotion of breastfeeding in the hall. You could get loads of formula samples though.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

The more formula companies are associated with baby events, the more 'normal' formula feeding seems, and the more of an exception (aberration?) breastfeeding appears. Isn't that the point?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

NextSteps wrote: »
    The more formula companies are associated with baby events, the more 'normal' formula feeding seems, and the more of an exception (aberration?) breastfeeding appears. Isn't that the point?

Yup that's the point.

I formula fed after 3 months, I have nothing against formula feeding (I think it's wonderful that we have a choice) but I don't like the dirty tactics the companies use to push the normalisation of formula feeding. I also hate all these "breast is best, but..." ads. As though it's their idea to put this into their ads and they're not being forced to.

I do get that the higher the sales the more that can be put into R&D to create better formulas, however I would like to see some of the money put into research to make breast feeding more comfortable, easier to pick up and keep going. It's never going to happen though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Ach, what of it? The poorer women are the only ones who'll buy the SMA, while the women of status will carry on breastfeeding.

At least that's what all the reliable research tells us. :cool:

Yeah gone are the days of the 'elite' farming out their babies to wet nurses, there seems to be a kudos attached to breast feeding one's own kids now. Just watch the fcuking films and ignore the SMA advertising.

NextSteps that's exactly what it is. Normalising formula feeding. Das Kitty I'm very cynical about the mumslikeus concept and website.

NextSteps that's exactly what it is. Normalising formula feeding. Das Kitty I'm very cynical about the mumslikeus concept and website.

About half of kids are breastfed, and about half are fed with formula. WADR, I'd say that makes them both normal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Yeah, I don't get the whole "normalising" concept.

There are two options - breast and formula. Despite the fact that people disagree to which might be better (or how better) - both are still normal. Someone feeding their baby chilli would be abnormal.

SMA are simply using marketing to plug their product.

• Advertisement

About half of kids are breastfed, and about half are fed with formula. WADR, I'd say that makes them both normal.

In what country?! Are you for real? I have no statistics to hand, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is nowhere near half! And as for your previous comment about status, I'm very confused. Surely, it should be the other way around that women who are poorer would provide their kids with free food, while those who can afford it, pay for formula. Have you a link to the research?
    Dades wrote: »
    ^^ Yeah, I don't get the whole "normalising" concept.

It's about removing barriers to breastfeeding. Perception is a big barrier - lots of women don't do it because they think it's icky, or other people think it's weird. Bombardment with advertising for formula creates a situation where formula is equated with babies and breastfeeding becomes an alternative to the norm i.e. formula. Health promotion simply can't compete with the money made and spent by formula companies.

Advertisement