Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager ignoring holiday requests (email)

Options
  • 27-07-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I need to book my holidays - Its a family holiday, happens once a year and we have 3 Kids, are hoping to book a package trip away as a deserved break.

Sufficient notice was given, 1 month in advance of first day of leave. Manager simply ignores the emails. But continues to mail myself and Dept regarding other day to day activity.

- I think its a constructive dismissal type scenario as I previously had a clash with a previous Manager in same Co. who I believe may have tainted my name to defend their own agenda/inadequacies.

My question is what actions or options do I have now?

Previously when I was in the same situation I went above the Managers head to HR and their response was that "they were busy" and "I needed to adjust my expectations re. timing in response to emails"

I have mailed this person 10 times explaining I need to book a family holiday and I know believe they are trying to make the job unpleasant enough to leave etc.

The Company involved is currently adding to an already very poor history of treating employees terribly and has provoked a huge Union membership in a very short timeframe.I am not currently signed up but wish I was now - I do wonder if I'd get their support 10 mins after signing up.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

walk in to your managers office and ask in person for an answer on the holiday request.

he is obviously hiding behind an email, don't get sucked in to that sort of nonsense.

You have made a formal request, you have to now actually speak to the person in question and don't let them fob you off.

A 20 second conversation will probably get this sorted.

I can't understand the total dependance on email as a form of communication in the same office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

whippet wrote: »
    walk in to your managers office and ask in person for an answer on the holiday request.

he is obviously hiding behind an email, don't get sucked in to that sort of nonsense.

You have made a formal request, you have to now actually speak to the person in question and don't let them fob you off.

A 20 second conversation will probably get this sorted.

I can't understand the total dependance on email as a form of communication in the same office.

A verbal conversation = no conversation at all. "oh he/she didn't aske me"

E-mail means a paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

A verbal conversation = no conversation at all. "oh he/she didn't aske me"

E-mail means a paper trail.

No email means nothing gets sorted.

20second conversation means you can then send an email ...'as discussed earlier today ... We have agreed to etc ... Or you have confirmed to respond by xx date'

You obviously need to force the hand of the person responsible. ... Have the conversation in person and then you email to confirm.

As I always do in meetings is offer to take minutes ..as the minutes are the official record and he who writes the record has control ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If it was me i would email one more time saying something along the lines of 'As mentioned in my previous (x amount) of emails i need an answer to the question mentioned. I would then cc the mail to the managers boss also.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Proper order is if you have not recieved a response to an e-mail within 24 hrs is to ring or speak directly to the person and follow up that conversation with an additional e-mail which states something like Following our conversation where we discussed X Y and Z we agreed that A B And C.

In buisness all conversations where something is agreed that may ever be questioned in the future should be followed up with a summery e-mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Walk to the desk and talk to the manager
    Then immediately afterwards send a summary email "as discussed.....and type what you discussed"

Advertisement