Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocritical moderation

Options
  • 27-07-2011 11:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭

Just something i noticed the other day in a thread i seen ill put a link to it at the end.

In all forums one rule is no advertising fair enough however if someone is deamed to be advertising or promoting something there told use adverts.ie. IS that not hypocritical because thats promoting adverts.ie? This is just one thing id like to highlight.

The second thing is in the thread i was looking at the person is talking about selling something and a numberof times the moderator says used adverts.ie and at one point says not to used ebay but used advers.ie

''If someone wants to sell something or link to a good deal, then use adverts.ie, not ebay or promote PM trades.''

''If you are looking for something or selling for something, use adverts.ie''

Above are some quotes from the moderatoer and hears the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043565&page=2

I think its very hypocritical for moderators to say people cant promote something when there doing it themselfs
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from the Help Desk to Feedback as the OP is providing just that - feedback. Redirect expires in 7 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stuff can't be advertised for free on boards - simple as that.
    Adverts.ie used to be part of boards.ie until recently and is still closely linked (in that if your account here is more than a year old - you had, by default, a corresponding account there).
    So, historically, the whole 'use adverts.ie' thing is more like 'you posted this in the wrong forum'.

It's probably just traditional / old habit to say 'use adverts' but there's nothing written anywhere to say that we shouldn't :)

By the way, I'm also an adverts.ie mod so that was probably a biased reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Steve wrote: »
    Stuff can't be advertised for free on boards - simple as that.
    Adverts.ie used to be part of boards.ie until recently and is still closely linked (in that if your account here is more than a year old - you had, by default, a corresponding account there).
    So, historically, the whole 'use adverts.ie' thing is more like 'you posted this in the wrong forum'.

It's probably just traditional / old habit to say 'use adverts' but there's nothing written anywhere to say that we shouldn't :)

By the way, I'm also an adverts.ie mod so that was probably a biased reply.

But is saying use adverts.ie not advertising it for free?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sendit wrote: »
    But is saying use adverts.ie not advertising it for free?

It's an old tradition. Going back about 5 years, I think. The old habits die hardest!

It's an old tradition. Going back about 5 years, I think. The old habits die hardest!

I think its very hypocritical to say people cant promote something when moderators there doing it themselfs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think its very hypocritical to say people cant promote something when moderators there doing it themselfs

How is it hypocritical?

Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are owned by the same company. Sales are (in 99% of cases) not allowed on Boards fora. They are the purpose of a sister website. If you want to sell something to the Boards audience, Adverts is the perfect place for it!

Also another thing id like to highlight about moderation is in the The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051270

People saying that people who work there are scumbags etc and nothing being done about it seems mods to come in when it suits them in this case

How is it hypocritical?

Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are owned by the same company. Sales are (in 99% of cases) not allowed on Boards fora. They are the purpose of a sister website. If you want to sell something to the Boards audience, Adverts is the perfect place for it!

You tell people not to promote things on boards.ie but you do it themslefs. I showed a case where a mod told someone not to used ebay and use adverts.ie insteed thats promoting another website other then boards.ie in my eyes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah, your real agenda comes to light. :)

Mods have nothing to gain and are completely impartial in any recommendations. You seem to have a problem with that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Use adverts.ie as opposed to boards.ie just seems like a helpful pointer but specifically telling someone not to use ebay sounds a bit dodgy, although there's no context provided.

• Advertisement

Ah, your real agenda comes to light. :)

Mods have nothing to gain and are completely impartial in any recommendations. You seem to have a problem with that?

No i have a problem with mods useing there power to stop people from promoting things but the promoting a website themselfs.

Also that mod in the link doesn't recommend adverts.ie they clearly say dont use ebay but use adverts.is if they had nothing to gain why did they say dont used ebay?

Use adverts.ie as opposed to boards.ie just seems like a helpful pointer but specifically telling someone not to use ebay sounds a bit dodgy, although there's no context provided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043565&page=3

Post 30 and 33 say dont use ebay use adverts.ie

Why exactly are you taking offence at this? do you have some connection to ebay?

I can see your point by the way but I'd like to hear the other side of the story as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

if a user posted an ad on boards, he makes it available to the boards community, no harm in redirecting to adverts, it's what the site is for. with ebay you're competing with others outside of boards. if the user wanted to put it up there, he would have.

boards and adverts are linked, adverts grew out of boards, so i don't see the hypocrisy in this.

Why exactly are you taking offence at this? do you have some connection to ebay?

I can see your point by the way but I'd like to hear the other side of the story as well.

Yes i own ebay :D

I just noticed it and wanted to point it out thats all

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043565&page=3

Post 30 and 33 say dont use ebay use adverts.ie

Quite a lot of posts have been snipped in that thread. I'd guess that the posts in question were links to auctions on E-bay.

My own brother got site-banned for doing something similar. He posted several links to his e-bay auctions last year to raise their profile. That's just spamming.

Posters trying to let others know about stuff for sale should do so on Adverts instead of putting them on e-bay and spamming the links.

if a user posted an ad on boards, he makes it available to the boards community, no harm in redirecting to adverts, it's what the site is for. with ebay you're competing with others outside of boards. if the user wanted to put it up there, he would have.

boards and adverts are linked, adverts grew out of boards, so i don't see the hypocrisy in this.

But the mod doesn't say that at any point all they say is dont use ebay use adverts.ie that in my eyes is promoting one site that happens to linked to this one instead of another

Quite a lot of posts have been snipped in that thread. I'd guess that the posts in question were links to auctions on E-bay.

My own brother got site-banned for doing something similar. He posted several links to his e-bay auctions last year to raise their profile. That's just spamming.

Posters trying to let others know about stuff for sale should do so on Adverts instead of putting them on e-bay and spamming the links.

I noticed that too but wasn't going to comment as i didn't know that the posts were

Hears another link where a mod gives out there email address something thats not ment to be done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=770864

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hears another link where a mod gives out there email address something thats not ment to be done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=770864

Ehhhh,thats a thread thats 8 and a half years old.Boards has changed exponentially since then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From 8 years ago, before the user was a mod and before the non publishing of email addresses was widely used on the site. Well done, you're really putting your argument across in a non-troll type way now, aren't you.

The no advertising rule means people can't advertise their own products. You can recommend sites and products that you have no connection to, and in fact, I'd be willing to bet if we all trawl through your post history we'll find more than one there too.

Mods have no connection with Adverts.ie, so telling people to stop selling their own person stuff on Boards.ie, and instead to go to Adverts.ie, is perfectly acceptable. The way you're going on about it makes me believe you have some serious alter agenda in the background.

And that didn't take long to find at all. Here you are recommending a hurley manufacturer, and some pubs on Facebook. As long as you have no connection to these sites, then it's just a recommendation, not an advertisement. By your definition though, you are a spammer because you linked to something that can help the other person out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes i own ebay :D

I just noticed it and wanted to point it out thats all

Stop advertising sendit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ehhhh,thats a thread thats 8 and a half years old.Boards has changed exponentially since then.
    /scribbles feedforward draft on statute of limitations

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm not really sure to begin. Bring back lolcats.

Anyway, you seem to be missing the point. Boards.ie is for discussion, simple as. Every day, we get literally hundreds upon hundreds of spam posts. Some blatant, some subtle, some utterly bizarre. It's all part of the daily slop-out.

As a general rule, there is no selling on Boards.ie. This is to ensure the site functions as it was intended - for discussion. The direction to adverts.ie, as others have pointed out, is because instead of saying "no advertising", mods can say "if you want to advertise, use adverts.ie". It is not promoting adverts.ie, it is directing people to adverts.ie. There is a difference. I see it in the same way as a mod moving a thread from one forum to another.

Regarding e-bay, you again seem to be missing the point.

A certain percentage of spam is simply people logging on to spam links to their e-bay auction. It has nothing whatsoever to do with e-bay being in competition with adverts.ie, it is purely an annoyance at 1- and 2-post wonders cluttering up the place. Again, not contributing to the discussion, only hampering it.

Does that clear it up for you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll try to remember it in the future when I'm dealing with people looking to sell stuff in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Do a BBC clause thingy at the end like:

*other Internet marketplace sites exist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

sendit look under your username.

IT says join date, location, posts and then Adverts|Friends.

Clicking on adverts brings a person to any adverts which a boards.ie user has on adverts.ie
    The two sites are closely linked as Adverts.ie grew out of the for sale forum here on the site.

If a person wishes to sell stuff as a member of the boards.ie communities to member of the boards.ie communities they use the site set up for that which is adverts.ie

It is no different from telling someone to ask about cars in the motor forum or pots in the cooking forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've seen mods say take it to Facebook or MSN as well, wonder what the connection is there?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Also another thing id like to highlight about moderation is in the The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051270

People saying that people who work there are scumbags etc and nothing being done about it seems mods to come in when it suits them in this case

Would you mind either starting a new thread on this, or even better, reporting any particular posts in that thread that you feel something should be done about (you don't seem to have reported any so far)?

That's a pretty busy thread that we're trying to keep an eye on, and we've made numerous requests for people to use factual language in these types of threads.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm not really sure to begin. Bring back lolcats.

I posted a lolcat but I eated it someone deleted it. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement