Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocritical moderation

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Eoin wrote: »
    Would you mind either starting a new thread on this, or even better, reporting any particular posts in that thread that you feel something should be done about (you don't seem to have reported any so far)?

That's a pretty busy thread that we're trying to keep an eye on, and we've made numerous requests for people to use factual language in these types of threads.

I dont have time or intend to make time to go trough all the posts in the thread. Should it not be the mods job to checks the posts anyway?

jor el wrote: »
    From 8 years ago, before the user was a mod and before the non publishing of email addresses was widely used on the site. Well done, you're really putting your argument across in a non-troll type way now, aren't you.

The no advertising rule means people can't advertise their own products. You can recommend sites and products that you have no connection to, and in fact, I'd be willing to bet if we all trawl through your post history we'll find more than one there too.

Mods have no connection with Adverts.ie, so telling people to stop selling their own person stuff on Boards.ie, and instead to go to Adverts.ie, is perfectly acceptable. The way you're going on about it makes me believe you have some serious alter agenda in the background.

And that didn't take long to find at all. Here you are recommending a hurley manufacturer, and some pubs on Facebook. As long as you have no connection to these sites, then it's just a recommendation, not an advertisement. By your definition though, you are a spammer because you linked to something that can help the other person out.

Yes people asked for a recommendation and i gave it. As i said the mod never recammends adverts.ie they just say dont use ebay use it insteed.

I find if very had to believe to mods on borads.ie have no connection to adverts.ie if they dont why do they not recommend other sties for people to sell there stuff on?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sendit wrote: »
    Yes people asked for a recommendation and i gave it. As i said the mod never recammends adverts.ie they just say dont use ebay use it insteed.

I find if very had to believe to mods on borads.ie have no connection to adverts.ie if they dont why do they not recommend other sties for people to sell there stuff on?

R.T.F. thread. You've got the answer from 7 or 8 people already!

Look to tell you the truth this is what i expected. The moderators are never wrong (or at least they like to think so anyway). In my eyes there promoting adverts.ie. Frankly anyone to takes anything serious on this would want to get out a bit more, more over some of the moderators... Now im sure you'll use your moderators powers to ban me to get your little power fix......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Look to tell you the truth this is what i expected. The moderators are never wrong (or at least they like to think so anyway). In my eyes there promoting adverts.ie. Frankly anyone to takes anything serious on this would want to get out a bit more, more over some of the moderators... Now im sure you'll use your moderators powers to ban me to get your little power fix......

Only the Admins who mod Feedback (LoLth and Trojan) can ban people from this forum. :)

That said, I wouldn't be surprised. You keep ignoring the genuine answers you've been getting. There's no ulterior motive, despite your strange protestations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I dont have time or intend to make time to go trough all the posts in the thread. Should it not be the mods job to checks the posts anyway?

No, we dont check very single post there, so we often rely on people to report posts so we can take action. I'm not sure how much more I can help given your rather pissy attitude and unwillingness to gve any examples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mods have no powers in feedback, we're users here - same as you.

A handful of us (small handful) have links to adverts as we're also mods there. I would guess it's less than 1% of the mod population here.

The rest recommend adverts purely because of it's history here, its reputation, and the fact that its owned by the same people that own boards. Nothing more. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And if you don't have the time what makes you think the mods do? There are thousands of posts per day on Boards, some forums have thousands by themselves, so mods rely on people reporting posts because it's impossible for them to read every single thing that's posted.

All mods, CMods and admins on Boards are volunteers. We get absolutely nothing for doing this job other than a sense of pride and satisfaction that we're helping the site run smoothly so that it can be enjoyed by all. The reason adverts.ie gets mentioned so often is because, as you've been told several times already, it's a sister site that grew out of Boards, and old habits die hard. I agree they could just as easily say try eBay, or DoneDeal, or whatever, would it make you any happier if they did? Or would you then give out that they're favouring Gumtree over eBay, for example? When someone is told to take it to adverts.ie, it's simply an instruction to take it elsewhere to advertise because Boards is not where they should be posting whatever it is they posted. I should also point out that in most cases it's free to advertise and sell on adverts.ie, unlike, for instance, eBay.

I hope that answers your questions fully?

No, we dont check very single post there, so we often rely on people to report posts so we can take action. I'm not sure how much more I can help given your rather pissy attitude and unwillingness to gve any examples.

Why are there moderators then? In the door-to-door thread there are plenty and like i said i dont plan to go trough almost 400 posts to show them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Why are there moderators then? In the door-to-door thread there are plenty and like i said i dont plan to go trough almost 400 posts to show them

To act on the reports we get from the members who take an interest in the forum rather than just piss and moan here.

We can't read very single post here, that's just silly.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Mods have no powers in feedback, we're users here - same as you.

A handful of us (small handful) have links to adverts as we're also mods there. I would guess it's less than 1% of the mod population here.

The rest recommend adverts purely because of it's history here, its reputation, and the fact that its owned by the same people that own boards. Nothing more. :)

In another post someones says mods have no connection to adverts.ie but you say they do.

jor el ''Mods have no connection with Adverts.ie''

Zaph wrote: »
    And if you don't have the time what makes you think the mods do? There are thousands of posts per day on Boards, some forums have thousands by themselves, so mods rely on people reporting posts because it's impossible for them to read every single thing that's posted.

All mods, CMods and admins on Boards are volunteers. We get absolutely nothing for doing this job other than a sense of pride and satisfaction that we're helping the site run smoothly so that it can be enjoyed by all. The reason adverts.ie gets mentioned so often is because, as you've been told several times already, it's a sister site that grew out of Boards, and old habits die hard. I agree they could just as easily say try eBay, or DoneDeal, or whatever, would it make you any happier if they did? Or would you then give out that they're favouring Gumtree over eBay, for example? When someone is told to take it to adverts.ie, it's simply an instruction to take it elsewhere to advertise because Boards is not where they should be posting whatever it is they posted. I should also point out that in most cases it's free to advertise and sell on adverts.ie, unlike, for instance, eBay.

I hope that answers your questions fully?

This for example so isn't promoting adverts.ie is it?

This for example so isn't promoting adverts.ie is it?

Relentless, aren't you? I was merely pointing out that adverts.ie makes no money from most people who sell there, so there's no financial gain to be made from suggesting that someone posts there, and most definitely not to the mod.

Ill show an example of one that was easy to find.

Oranage2 ''Anyway that was a trick question as door to door people dont pay basic, its all commision.''

''I've heard door to door companies offering basic but i never actually heard of somebody getting it.''

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056336115

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In another post someones says mods have no connection to adverts.ie but you say they do.

jor el ''Mods have no connection with Adverts.ie''

I said some of us do. :)

Is that SOTS back again..?

Zaph wrote: »
    Relentless, aren't you? I was merely pointing out that adverts.ie makes no money from most people who sell there, so there's no financial gain to be made from suggesting that someone posts there, and most definitely not to the mod.

Yes you pointed it out but you also said that someone would have to pay to use ebay. It may make no money off most people but still makes money off people so then maybe a finacial gain by suggesting insteed of ebay or an other site

I said some of us do. :)

Yes but that person said none of ye do

Yes but that person said none of ye do
    So, who do you believe?

So, who do you believe?

I dont know really. Its funny how uptight mods get when someone says something they dont like about there precious boards.ie i mean it is the word of god after all......

• Advertisement

I dont know really. Its funny how uptight mods get when someone says something they dont like about there precious boards.ie i mean it is the word of god after all......
    You're the only one getting upset here, we're all calmly trying to explain how it is :)

Ill give another example then shall i?

Mods claming the amount of posts someone makes there point more usless

Delancey

''Note that there is a tendency that those who write posts defending/supporting these sort of companies are people with very low post counts ( such as that above ). Make of that what you will wink.gif. ''

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056152670

Yes you pointed it out but you also said that someone would have to pay to use ebay. It may make no money off most people but still makes money off people so then maybe a finacial gain by suggesting insteed of ebay or an other site

Yes, it's all one big conspiracy to ensure that eBay don't get a few quid from someone selling an old pram. Happy now?

Personally I couldn't care less if adverts.ie makes millions, because neither I, nor any of the other mods on either boards or adverts will see a penny of it. I could just as easily ask you where I could buy Cornflakes and you'd tell me Dunnes. So why Dunnes and not Tesco? Or Superquinn? Or SuperValu? Or Spar? It's just an alternative suggestion when someone posts something here that they shouldn't have. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. If you don't like it, well then that's just too bad.

Too many people's time has been wasted answering your ridiculous line of questioning. You've been given the answers several times, there's nothing more we can do for you here.

/Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement