Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging VAT, Based on Delivery Address or Billing Address?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

Am VAT registered and selling online to customers (the public, not VAT registered) around the world.

Obviously for Irish/EU customers there is VAT to be paid on sales.

For orders going outside of the EU there is not.

What I wanted to clarify is what happens if someone with a billing address in the EU orders an item but wants it shipped outside the EU (to a friend in the US for example), is this order liable for VAT?

My thoughts would be it's the destination that counts, ie if an order is being exported outside the EU its not eligible for VAT, but was just hoping to get clarification?

Had a look through the Revenue VAT Guide but could not find anything concrete.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd have thought the billing address was the one that mattered?

Ring Revenue and ask them :)

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

It would still be subject to customs on import and as it's zero rated VAT. All you need is proof of export and date of actual export.

Full details here on all the regs here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

VAT is based on shipment location.

Advertisement