Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Usage Monitored?

• 28-07-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Does anyone know if Eircom rigorously enforce their download allowance?

I am on their 1meg download speed, actually my telephone line can only manage to get about 21kps, but even so I have managed to go nearly double by allowance, which is a measly 10g by Eircom. So, at near 20g am I in serious trouble?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Historically, no. They never enforced it when I was with them, and we broke the cap a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

Raphael wrote: »
    Historically, no. They never enforced it when I was with them, and we broke the cap a lot.
    they enforce on ngb

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Raphael wrote: »

Thanks. I am concerned they could start to enforce it so I have started to look to alternatives. It would be nice to know for certain as it would stop my wife, and myself worrying too much about it. I have no idea wither what the extra cost would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I have been told by eircom that its not enforced
    check here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73488482&postcount=7

post from an eircom rep that they wont over charge on non NGB packages.
    Im on 1Mb myself am already on 14GB out of out 10GB allowance:eek:
    Guess we will see with our next bill but im 100% they dont charge for extra usage this has been the case this past few years.

P.S its €2 for every 1GB that you go over the monthly allowance but this is only for people on Next Generation Broadband.

jay93 wrote: »
    I have been told by eircom that its not enforced
    check here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73488482&postcount=7

post from an eircom rep that they wont over charge on non NGB packages.
    Im on 1Mb myself am already on 14GB out of out 10GB allowance:eek:
    Guess we will see with our next bill but im 100% they dont charge for extra usage this has been the case this past few years.

P.S its €2 for every 1GB that you go over the monthly allowance but this is only for people on Next Generation Broadband.

Many thanks for your response and for providing the link. While the rep seems pretty emphatic about non NGB download limits not being enforced it does make one wonder why Eircom simply doesn’t remove or at least increase the measly 10gig allowance mentioned in their T&C for the package we are on. I am sure if they did they’d make a lot of their customers happier.....Perhaps they’re worried in case there’s a sudden rush to go overboard and misuse the system.

As things stand I am seriously looking at alternatives and as mentioned on another thread I am considering moving to Pure Telecom. Not only are they less expensive, they provide "unlimited" downloads per month and also free anytime (landline) calls to Ireland and the UK, which we do not get with Eircom unless we pay extra.

But I don’t like the idea of changing; we have been with Eircom since we returned to Ireland from London 11 years ago and apart from the slowness of their BB (we have the 1 Meg package but are only getting 21kps speeds) they have been fairly consistent. However, if we can get a better package with another company, one that states in their T&C that they provide “unlimited” downloads (I also have an email from a Pure Telecom rep stating this and other things discussed) and the free calls to the UK, then we’d be insane not to at least give them ago.

• Advertisement

i think people on ngb, eg me, with up to 8Mb who get 5MB shoiuld not be charged either

MapForJ wrote: »
    i think people on ngb, eg me, with up to 8Mb who get 5MB shoiuld not be charged either

What is your download allowance per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Afaik, anyone on ngb 8Mb or above has "unlimited" usage (i think the fair usage is 250Gbs).
    (On a mobile so can't find the link, but its in a few of the older threads).

pat13wx wrote: »
    What is your download allowance per month?
    30 gigs

Afaik, anyone on ngb 8Mb or above has "unlimited" usage
    not me. 30 gigs is my limit and they charge over that. i have a bundle with free landline calls after 7pm and weekends but at up to 8MB and getting 5 is a bit rich. My upload should be 512 kb i think but is nothing like it. last test was 0.42 kkb up

• Advertisement

30 gigs

Not too bad. If my allowance was 30 gigs I'd be happy enough. Personally I think everyone should be allowed genuine unlimited downloading a month.

Not too bad. If my allowance was 30 gigs I'd be happy enough. Personally I think everyone should be allowed genuine unlimited downloading a month.
    ok if my 8mb was 8mb. i do not think there is any genuine unlimited. I am not sure how they can advertise something as unlimited and then say fair usage applies. someone should run it by asai

Even your 5 meg sounds good to me. All I am getting is 21kps, which really is terrible speeds.

Even your 5 meg sounds good to me. All I am getting is 21kps, which really is terrible speeds.
    on the one meg. are you far from the exchange? have you wireless?

on the one meg. are you far from the exchange? have you wireless?

We're right at the end of the exchange. No, no wireless, just Eircom. I am looking into alternatives, though.

We're right at the end of the exchange. No, no wireless, just Eircom. I am looking into alternatives, though.
    sorry i meant if you had your signal from router in the house wireless.

sorry i meant if you had your signal from router in the house wireless.

Yes, I am using a wireless router.:)

you might get a better sped wired or if you use a repeater

you might get a better sped wired or if you use a repeater

I will try it wired tomorrow.

Here is my speed tonight:

1408483726.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Christ thats awful. I could never put up with that. Have you been on to them to have a look at your line?

• Advertisement

Yes, been on to them for years but no dice. They claim the reason is we are right at the end of the exchange, which isn't really the case as we are only about three miles from it.

Yes, been on to them for years but no dice. They claim the reason is we are right at the end of the exchange, which isn't really the case as we are only about three miles from it.

This might help

Thanks for that link. I doubt, however, if a booster would help in my situation. I connected to the router via a cable and noticed no discernible difference in speed. My wireless router is very close to my laptop, in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

not me. 30 gigs is my limit and they charge over that. i have a bundle with free landline calls after 7pm and weekends but at up to 8MB and getting 5 is a bit rich. My upload should be 512 kb i think but is nothing like it. last test was 0.42 kkb up

Lads, I found this from the old thread i mentioned earlier. It might be of some use to those of you on NGB.

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=63&E=0000000000289074988&K=7528&Sxi=2
    If your exchange has been upgraded to a Next Generation network, you will be migrated to the following products

•Home Starter (1Mb) is now Next Generation Broadband Basic
    •Eligible Home Plus customers will be moved to NGB Regular with an unlimited usage allowance at no extra cost
    •Eligible Home Advanced customers will now be 24Mb Next Generation Ultimate customers at no extra cost. Customers who do not qualify for 24Mb will be migrated to 8Mb NGB Regular with an Unlimited Usage Allowance at a reduced price.
    •Business Lite (1Mb) is now Business Lite Next Generation
    •Business Lite Plus (3Mb) is now Business Lite Plus Next Generation

* subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month

Crickey, but that is good. If only Eircom's NGB was available in my area I'd be made up with some of those deals.

Advertisement