Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa/Study Options

Options
  • 28-07-2011 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in Perth but heading back to Dublin tomorrow unfortunately.

I'm due to start 2nd year of a 4 year Bsc. in Computer Science in September, but I'm trying to see what kind of options I have to study/work over here.

I heard international fee's for students are up to $10,000 a semester, which is just unaffordable at the moment. Is there anything I can apply for? Grants, Loans etc.

My girlfriend is pretty keen to come with me and she would want to start studying whereas maybe I can go into 2nd year in a similar course.

Luckily I have family that I'm very close with her and they can back me up if I even need anywhere to stay or assistance. But, ideally, we'd love to rent our own house and have part time jobs etc.

My two cousins are also in "Uni" at the moment in UWA and ECU, if that's any use.

So any info is appreciated.

Hope it wasn't too long.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You have only really asked one question.

And the answer is Yes the fees really are that high (i'm sure you can get exact figures on website), you won't get any grants and loans - prob not, Australian students also have to pay these fees but get Hex payment system (like what england have)

You can work up to 20hrs on a student visa.

Best bet is to finish your course and re-evaluate your options.

Unfortunately not really much you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fees will depend on the course, minor certs will be $1500, BSc will be far higher, not too far off the $10k you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks for the info though.

Do you reckon there is anyway of doing transfers through my own college at the moment?

I'm hoping I can finish second year and leave with a higher cert and that could do me but then I'm not sure about my girlfriend as she'd want to start college in Australia.

I really don't want to stay in Ireland, neither of us can get any average part time job and I can't see myself sticking out the next three years or more there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Ask in the DCU/College forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=471

You may get some answers

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Try www.studyoptions.com - they offer a free service to people seeking to study in Australia and are familiar with irish education system etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Are there study abroad options through the college your in in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Are there study abroad options through the college your in in Ireland ?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so.
    I'm just waiting on some e-mail responses now really.

Advertisement