Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my hard drive fixed

Options
  • 28-07-2011 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest where I might go to get a 1tb hard drive looked at? For some reason it's decided to go on the blink and isn't powering up and hence not connecting to the computer.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Try this guy very helpful

http://www.adverts.ie/member/337632

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

http://www.fx-itech.com/

Ask for Mike.

edit: Based in Glanmire btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

CORK COMPUTER CLININC IS IN THE CITY AND MIDDLETON AND THEY ARE EXCELLENT TOO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thehunter

cordub wrote: »
    CORK COMPUTER CLININC IS IN THE CITY AND MIDDLETON AND THEY ARE EXCELLENT TOO!!

I would seriously not recommend the above, just a personal experience, that went horribly bad and took 2 months to fix.:mad:

I tend to go to pc services out washington st.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

Could try Aidan at www.amit.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Lustrum wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest where I might go to get a 1tb hard drive looked at? For some reason it's decided to go on the blink and isn't powering up and hence not connecting to the computer.

Thanks in advance

Hard drives don't get fixed these days. A new 1TB drive costs less than
    €50.

Are you sure the drive is faulty? Check the connections carefully.
    There is also a small possibility that the problem could be elsewhere.
    A faulty power supply could lead to hard drive problems, particularly
    with 3.5in drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

If it's an external hard drive it could just be a problem with the external case you have it in, try buying a new case off of ebay or something, should be pretty cheap, 10er or so....or if you don't want to spend money you could always try installing it internally into your computer for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Viper_JB wrote: »
    If it's an external hard drive it could just be a problem with the external case you have it in, try buying a new case off of ebay or something, should be pretty cheap, 10er or so....or if you don't want to spend money you could always try installing it internally into your computer for the moment.

This seems like a good idea, but my knowledge of computers doesn't extend this far I think. I should be able to find someone who could do that for us though, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

thehunter wrote: »
    I would seriously not recommend the above, just a personal experience, that went horribly bad and took 2 months to fix.:mad:

I tend to go to pc services out washington st.

AVOID PC SERVICES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!!

So this is what happened.....

After getting this recommendation, I dropped the drive into them yesterday to get an estimation for what was the problem. Rang them today to see if there was any news and was told that the tech guy was sick so it couldn't be done until at least Tuesday. But I was hoping to have it back tonight so I said I'd collect it back from them today.

Just went in to collect it there, told the young lad behind the desk who I was and he went into one room to look for the drive. Meanwhile, this prick comes out from another room with the drive in his hand, asks me my name, slaps the drive down and tells me the usb cable has shorted the drive, that's the problem and walks back into his room. I picked up the drive to find that the usb connection within the box was completely broken off inside the box. I then called the guy back out to find out what the **** was going on, because it certainly wasn't like that when I gave it in. His reply was that it was, and it was my word against his - WHAT A PRICK! I'M FUMING!!

So I now have an external hard drive that still has the original electric problem and a ****ing broken usb connection - it's now completely useless! :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks to all for the suggestions, but do me a favour and avoid this place - I hope the recession bites them bad

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

AVOID PC SERVICES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!!

So this is what happened.....

After getting this recommendation, I dropped the drive into them yesterday to get an estimation for what was the problem. Rang them today to see if there was any news and was told that the tech guy was sick so it couldn't be done until at least Tuesday. But I was hoping to have it back tonight so I said I'd collect it back from them today.

Just went in to collect it there, told the young lad behind the desk who I was and he went into one room to look for the drive. Meanwhile, this prick comes out from another room with the drive in his hand, asks me my name, slaps the drive down and tells me the usb cable has shorted the drive, that's the problem and walks back into his room. I picked up the drive to find that the usb connection within the box was completely broken off inside the box. I then called the guy back out to find out what the **** was going on, because it certainly wasn't like that when I gave it in. His reply was that it was, and it was my word against his - WHAT A PRICK! I'M FUMING!!

So I now have an external hard drive that still has the original electric problem and a ****ing broken usb connection - it's now completely useless! :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks to all for the suggestions, but do me a favour and avoid this place - I hope the recession bites them bad
    OMG what an ass !!I know the purcell lads that run cork computer clinic and have actual experince in getting my problems sorted so try them and tell them you were reccomended them from someone from this forum that has got them to fix theirs Im sure they will sort you out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

This seems like a good idea, but my knowledge of computers doesn't extend this far I think. I should be able to find someone who could do that for us though, thanks

If you can use a screw driver you should be able to swap the hard drive into a different case, it's pretty easy, just be carefull with the connections on the drive itself and like don't go walking on carpet in your socks before hand. You're better off doing stuff like this yourself, you'll never learn otherwise and end up having to deal with people like the above + lots of money to be saved + any amount of guides on the internet for doing pretty much any computer work. Engineers don't need degree's anymore, just google access :D

Advertisement