Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DS massive price drop, 20 free games for early adopters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I ordered from Gamestop on Tuesday evening also, and it arrived this morning. I selected the express shipping and emailed them about it on Wednesday to make sure it got sent out. They emailed me a tracking number and I was able to see when it was dispatched and on it's way for delivery with the courier. Did you get tracking details dooferoaks?

It wasn't ordered until yesterday evening, my brother sorted it once I had given him the info from here, presumed he went for express shipping but I don't think he emailed or chased them up.

Have all you more organised buyers got everything sorted for all the free games then?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Yeah, yesterday evening was too late I reckon, I got one email from them at about 13.50 saying to order and get back to them with the order number before 14.00! I had everything sorted already at that point though.

Pretty sure my 3DS is ready to go, have updated the firmware and browsed the eStore, downloaded some of the free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

More details on the titles:
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=158778

Seems they'll be transferrable to another 3ds later after all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€170 in HMV with a free selected game - the best of which is Ghost Recon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Where's the cheapest place to get a 3DS? Has anyone been to Tesco? In the UK, it seems to be the cheapest place to pick one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Amazon are selling them for £115

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Amazon are selling them for £115

So tempted at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

So tempted at that price.

That is incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Slightly OT but didn't it take about a year for the PSPgo to drop in price (from something like €249.99 to €179.99)? Did it enjoy relatively more success than the first few months of the 3DS, somehow? I suppose it had alot of downloadable games accessible on the PSN straight away, but it still gets me confused thinking about how the 3DS price drop has come so quickly and dramatically... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

When are the 20 NES games due?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

When are the 20 NES games due?

The 10 NES games should be available to download from September 1, and the 10 GBA games will be released by the end of the year (a date has yet to be announced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

If Nintendo are smart they'll release those GBA games long before Xmas. Releasing them around Xmas would hurt games sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's ridiculous that the free games are not just available to everyone. I mean if I bought a 3DS now then i am going to be in the same predicament as the early buyers, no games to play on it, even though I would get it for a lot cheaper. The system is a dud and should not have been released until October, at a reasonable price, and some great titles like Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros etc. out for the launch or close enough to it. I'm going to wait until Christmas to see if I want one as a present but if the PS VITA is released by then then i will get that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The free games are to compensate for the price drop, nothing else (unfortunately).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

When I saw the price drop (particularly the £115 on Amazon) I was very tempted to pick one up. Having since checked out the list of existing and imminently-due games, I'm not going near it. I had the same problem when I bought a Gamecube years back - great system, but far too few decent games for it.

Good to see that Nintendo have managed to build the expertise that made their handhelds so successful over the last 20 years and not fumble it like they did with the N64 and GC :S I just hope they don't do something equally stupid with the Wii U...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the 3DS, I understand the games issue, but with the price at £115 nobody has anything to complain about now.

For a start, it's backwards compatible with a massive catalogue of Nintendo DS games which means you can find some amazing bargains online, plus you've already got Zelda and Resident Evil Mercenaries available to purchase. There's a great sports game called Sports Island 3D which is also fun, and Star Fox 64 is coming in a few weeks.

A few weeks after that you've got official launch dates for Super Mario and Mario Kart and into the new year we've got games like Metal Gear Solid 3D and there's an upcoming Driver 3D and Luigi's Mansion. Nintendo have reduced the price dramatically, so much so that there is little excuse not to get one, and people will begin to side with Nintendo over this because the PSP is going to appeal to a lot of people, granted, but will probably be almost 3 times the price.

For those who simply don't have the money to be able to afford a console, or a portable in today's market, this makes for a genius sale tactic because if the console is £115 first hand that means second hand it's going to retail at, what, £80 maybe? I mean you're going to find that EVERYONE is going to be able to get this console - especially in the run up to Christmas - and Nintendo have made this console so accessible it's going to demand more games and more titles up front!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@Motley

Personally, my problem is that if the majority of the games Nintendo expect me to pay full-retail price for are ports of 10 year old games from old systems that I've already played before (or, only marginally better, can buy for significantly less on the Wii Virtual Console if I'm a Wii owner), then they've failed to make the console compelling.

You mention Resident Evil as one of comparatively few franchises that has an imminent new release (as opposed to port/rerelease) due on the system. This, unfortunately, has the now-infamous no save data reset issue, which means that not only can you not sell it second hand, you effectively can't properly play it through from scratch once you've completed it. (I mean, in one sense I admire Capcom - after messing about with the availability of Resi 4 on the GC to the UK/Irish markets I remember shops asking for €60 years after its release and opting to buy it second hand instead, so this is theoretically very clever of them - if it works as they intend...)

I know at least five people at work who are serious, long-standing Nintendo fans (both handheld and home console) and at this point none of us are interested in buying the 3DS. Even with the discount and the VC content...if the best thing to be said about your paradigm-shifting platform is when you get bored of the few proper titles available for it you can buy a bunch of ports of older titles or virtual console games, you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Price on amazon has gone up to 129.91 sterling, still a good price.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Iis the new Resi Revelations 3DS game also going to have the no-overwrite save data bs?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Iis the new Resi Revelations 3DS game also going to have the no-overwrite save data bs?

I'd hope not, but would you be particularly prepared to trust Capcom one way or another if they're avoiding the subject?

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous that the free games are not just available to everyone. I mean if I bought a 3DS now then i am going to be in the same predicament as the early buyers, no games to play on it, even though I would get it for a lot cheaper. The system is a dud and should not have been released until October, at a reasonable price, and some great titles like Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros etc. out for the launch or close enough to it. I'm going to wait until Christmas to see if I want one as a present but if the PS VITA is released by then then i will get that instead.

I don't get why people say it shouldn't have been released til October with more launch titles....
    If the lineup doesn't interest you til then...then don't pick up one til october. :confused:

If the lineup does interest you, (3d ocarina for one) in the meantime...then pick one up sooner and you'll still be able to buy the titles out in october and after launch....

And vita's not out til next year here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't get why people say it shouldn't have been released til October with more launch titles....
    If the lineup doesn't interest you til then...then don't pick up one til october. :confused:

If the lineup does interest you, (3d ocarina for one) in the meantime...then pick one up sooner and you'll still be able to buy the titles out in october and after launch....

And vita's not out til next year here :pac:

20x20 hindsight?

Ocarina of Time (itself a polished up 15 year old port) is the only must have game for the system nearly a half year after launch day.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    No, but not to worry, disappointing but wasn't a deal breaker either way, was worth the try. Not for me anyway, my brother wanted one, so hes paid for it not me.
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/nintendo_3ds_ambassador_programme_44250.html
    They're offering two alternative methods for those who failed to connect to the eshop by the limit:

a) Have created a Friend Code and connected to the Internet with your Nintendo 3DS system prior to August 12th

OR

b) Have retained your original receipt or proof of purchase for your Nintendo 3DS system

You should be able to get in with b i'd say? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's more than worrying that all the games that are being lauded for the 3DS are all remasters of old games.
    Now I have no doubt that a lot of work went into them to get them up to scratch.
    I have no doubt that they'll sell well to the great unwashed, who assuming are gamers to start with for owning a 3DS right now, probably own the games in question already, on the original formats.
    I am that soldier.

So aside from Super Mario, which looks like combining the best of SMB3 and SMG, what new original works do we have to look forward to?
    The new Driver game? Don't want to bet the farm on that one.
    A new Need for Speed seems inevitable but will it not be outclassed by the Vita and current gen consoles?
    Doesn't the 3DS need to offer something fundamentally different and compelling than the rest, to justify it's purchase.
    I mean, if you are a casual player and see all the versions of Need for Speed in your local Gamestop, which one are you going to spend 50 yoyo's on?
    To look at the issue from another vantage point, is there anything new on the format that would make Mr/Mrs Gamer compelled to by a 3DS?
    Short answer, No, nothing.
    Modern gamers care little for ZeldaOoT, despite it's awards its a 15 year old game, they are not bothered by the classic nature of the title, to them it just means "Old".
    So what will make them need a 3DS?
    I really don't know.
    Movie rentals onto it may help, it's a feature unavailable anywhere else, a portable personal 3D movie theatre.
    3D Video recording, supposedly on the way.
    New IP? I wouldn't get hung up on that, using established IP with a fresh eye gave us Super Mario Galaxy, MGS:Peace Walker, Half Life 2 series, Modern Warfare etc.
    So is there a game or games that will make the 3DS an essential prospect for non hardcore gamers?
    Hope so, because if minigame compilations, puzzles and crosswords is all the great unwashed want to play they'll see little reason to trade from the DSi/XL to the 3DS and that could spell big big trouble for Nintendo.

Personally I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario Land, Luigi's Mansion 2, Metal Gear Solid 3d, Paper Mario 3d, The 2 professor Layton 3d games (including Layton versus Pheonix Wright!), Shinobi (.... well, it could be good if it aims for the charms of the megadrive era games), Star Fox 3d and Smash Bros. (Big list here of 3ds games, I aint linking individually).

However, even if most of these games where out, I can see that most wouldn't really attract casual or young gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

So I'm about to take the plunge and buy a 3DS on Amazon for £115. Before I do, is there anywhere in Dublin selling it for the €130 equivalant or is Amazon the cheapest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Personally I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario Land, Luigi's Mansion 2, Metal Gear Solid 3d, Paper Mario 3d, The 2 professor Layton 3d games (including Layton versus Pheonix Wright!), Shinobi (.... well, it could be good if it aims for the charms of the megadrive era games), Star Fox 3d and Smash Bros. (Big list here of 3ds games, I aint linking individually).

However, even if most of these games where out, I can see that most wouldn't really attract casual or young gamers.

Its all well & good quoting upcoming releases, I've owned a 3DS for not far off half a year at this stage...its pretty shocking how neglected the games lineup is.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its all well & good quoting upcoming releases, I've owned a 3DS for not far off half a year at this stage...its pretty shocking how neglected the games lineup is.

I know, sure in another half a year I'll still be quoting most of those games as ones I'm looking forward to :(.

EnterNow wrote: »

I think that's the shocking thing, really- this far into the 3DS' lifespan, it's pretty bad that the situation isn't much different to the launch lineup. "Jam tomorrow" is a very poor line sales pitch for a console, especially one that hasn't yet managed to field any games that demonstrate what worthwhile experiences you get out of the 3DS that you couldn't get on any other handheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

A new Castlevania needs to be released, a brand new Metroid, Pikmin etc..
    Come on Nintendo fire these puppies at us and let us bask in their glory:pac:

Advertisement