Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mooring for a Boat in Athlone Town

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the story is with securing a mooring for a live-aboard boat is in Athlone town or who is responsible for regulating them? I have seen a few barges etc. with people living on them moored up in the past. Any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

AFAIK the barges moored in Athlone are all on private moorings. The ones based in the centre of town behind Seans Bar are only there during the winter. There is a 5 day rule during summer enforced by Waterways Ireland.

www.iwai.ie may have the info you need re residential moorings.

There are a few purpose built ones in Shannon Harbour...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gunterwest

Donie75 wrote: »
    AFAIK the barges moored in Athlone are all on private moorings. The ones based in the centre of town behind Seans Bar are only there during the winter. There is a 5 day rule during summer enforced by Waterways Ireland.

www.iwai.ie may have the info you need re residential moorings.

There are a few purpose built ones in Shannon Harbour...

Town Council have secure moorings behind the Radisson hotel with a variety of different tarriffs...daily, weekly, monthly and long term.

Other than that you may go out of town a little bit. Portaneena Marina is in Ballykeeran, Run by Tony Chatterton and is a nice enough place and is secure.

Quigleys marina aka Killinure Marina is further around near Glasson village, its nicer than portaneena, showers, toilets etc, but is hard to get into, their may be a waiting list and is a bit further out of town. If you wanted to stay in town and not pay on public jetties, you would have to move around to avoid being fined. i.e. 5 days in Athlone Town, 5 days in Coosan Point, 5 days in Hodson Bay public harbour, and then back. Check the Waterways Ireland Byelaws to see what movement would be required and if it suited you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the story is with securing a mooring for a live-aboard boat is in Athlone town or who is responsible for regulating them? I have seen a few barges etc. with people living on them moored up in the past. Any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I would not moor it in the town if I was you, way too much traffic, sure you wouldn't get a wink of sleep with all the noise! you should try mooring it on the water instead!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fuzzylogic

Exploring the possibility of living on a barge in athlone on the Shannon. Is there anyone doing this at the moment, and is it feasible.?
    I hear mooring for longer than five days is difficult with the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

fuzzylogic wrote: »
    Exploring the possibility of living on a barge in athlone on the Shannon. Is there anyone doing this at the moment, and is it feasible.?
    I hear mooring for longer than five days is difficult with the council.

According to the legal statute, you need to get permission from the OPW / Waterways Ireland.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0080.html#zzsi80y1992a17

17. (3) A vessel or boat shall not berth at the same harbour, lay-by, wharf, quay, pier or other landing-place or other property of the Commissioners for more than 5 consecutive days or more than a total of 7 days in any one month without the permission of the Commissioners.

Asking at Waterways Ireland might be advisable, though they will probably suggest either a private mooring or one of their serviced mooring leases.
    http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/OneYearServicedM

• Advertisement
Advertisement