Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architects/technicians wages & turnover

• 27-07-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

There's very few architects worth the bother whose turnover would be less than €38k.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

There's very few architects worth the bother whose turnover would be less than €38k.
    I'd say you'll find that there's a lot of architects out there at the moment whose turnover is nowhere near €38K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a terrible comment to make.

Have you forgotten about the recession or are you in this country at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

muffler wrote: »
    Thats a terrible comment to make.

Have you forgotten about the recession or are you in this country at all?

It's hardly a "terrible" comment by any stretch. There may be a recession on, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people building, extending & renovating. And there's still a lot of companies with cap ex to burn.

Any architect with a good reputation & a few years experience behind them would have little or no trouble turning over the limit of the VAT band. You could easily cover that with a domestic planning app & a few legal maps or BERs per month. And if you're any good, have an anyway half decent name & are willing to work hard, you'll be doing a lot more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Any architect with a good reputation & a few years experience behind them would have little or no trouble turning over the limit of the VAT band. You could easily cover that with a domestic planning app & a few legal maps or BERs per month. And if you're any good, have an anyway half decent name & are willing to work hard, you'll be doing a lot more than that.

(Note to Mods, maybe it maybe worth while creating an new thread, to aviod things going too much off topic)

As some whom knows quiet a lot of sole trader professionals (Architects, Arch techs, Engineers) many of whom have been long established, From discussions with many of them, most will say that they are struggling to achieve the VAT threshold in terms of turnover.

Many have de-registered for VAT and are finding despite a lower turnover, they have more (legality) in their pocket at the end of the day. Most of the current construction work in the country at present is domestic related where the clients won't be registered for VAT anyway, so VAT to the client is part of the fee.

A turnover of 37,000/year is an average of 700/week. Depending on one circumstances it isn't bad money to be earning, if one is a sole trader.

A few posts (above) moved from another thread where they were off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

It's hardly a "terrible" comment by any stretch. There may be a recession on, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people building, extending & renovating. And there's still a lot of companies with cap ex to burn.

The simple fact is that there aren't that many people building at the moment, as the banks aren't lending money. All of the job types you mention are dependent on a property market which is operating at at least normal capacity. Last night's news showed that property prices are STILL falling - hardly a sign of recovery.

Any architect with a good reputation & a few years experience behind them would have little or no trouble turning over the limit of the VAT band.
    Just so we know and ensure transparency and a level playing field can I ask you what your profession is?

Btw Im an architectural technician/sole trader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

im just at the very start of my career. still at the start of college doing architecture in fact. just heading into second year.

from the amount of conversations ive been having its not the ideal industry to be in right now at all. ok fair enough a poster above has a point about reputaion and small jobs as a sole trader but there are so many architects out there right now competing for these very few small jobs. god forbid anyone who is a few years ahead of myself who might be faciung the reality of starting a family with young kids and a wife with a house to pay for. just becuase they might be percieved as having a great job, they are scrapping the pennies like everyone right now.

im just hopin that in 4 years time ill be able to get an internship easy enough or even travel abroad to look for work.

im not in this line of work for the money though. if i make money thats great but im doing this because its something ive always loved and i can always pack up and go abroad for work.

hopefully things are turning around for alot of you guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

A friend of mine derigestered for VAT and got sent a bill for about 5k for the VAT refund he got on his jeep!!!. Don't derigester if you've bought a commercial vehicle in the last few years!! or any other item of plant and machinery with a large vat content!! I too know know a lot of Architects, Technologists and engineers around the country. A lot of practices are now down to being sole traders or just the partners, a lot of the staff who were laid off are now self employed doing whatever they can but to all intents are unemployed, was it the last RIAI survey that has 70% of Architects and Technologists unemployed? Theresd a huge ammount of Design talent and feck all work so i think the ops comment was a bit Bertieish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can I ask what industry you are in?
    Just curious as to weather you are speculating, or if you actually know what is happening out there.

I imagine most of the sole traders would be delighted with a domestic planning app per month.
    As for your three qualities listed. I think we can both agree that "any good" (ability) & "willing to work hard" (work ethic) are the only two that determine if an architect is worth the "bother". If they should be considered etc. A "half decent name" will help secure clients, but given the last few years there are many people who are only starting out.

Consider, Architect A, he worked for years in a small practise, was second only to the principal. And basically ran a lot of his own jobs solo. The work is less common now, and the company only manages to get enough work for one, so Architect A was let go. He is now a sole practitioner, with a small client base and no reputation.

Or how about Arch Tech B, he graduated an immediately secured employment in a major office. Working for a few years, surviving longer than most but was a victim of one of the mass culls. He emmigrated and has worked over seas for 5 years. Compared to his peers, he is hugely more experienced. But on his return home, he struggles to get local planning app work, instead the guy down the road who has complete a app every few months while working as a security guard has the niche secured.

Just two of the many examples, while experience, well abled, designers might struggle to have turnovers in excess of $38k

• Advertisement
Advertisement