Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use Light Golden Sugar in place of Light Brown Sugar ??

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

It is for a tomato chutney.

Are the two sugars much the same?
    If I use the light golden sugar instead of the light brown will it affect the taste a lot??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

No, it will be absolutely fine. I would have no reservations about that substitute. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Light golden sugar has more molasses removed during the refinement process than light brown. Molasses has a dark, bitter taste. So, if you find the chutney is too sweet, add some molasses, or even black treacle would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You really wouldn't notice, the difference in molasses would be tiny. The flavour is in the tomatoes.

I'd even say white sugar would work fine. Might not taste the exact same, but would still be a perfectly good chutney.

Advertisement