Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap off-license alcohol ‘should be doubled in price’

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"THE cost of cheap alcohol in supermarkets and off-licences should be doubled in order to tackle anti-social behaviour, it has been claimed.

The Lord Mayor of Dublin, Andrew Montague, said there should be an agreed minimum price for alcohol.

He said cans of lager priced as low as 47 cent should be increased to €1."

I wish this short sighted git would FCUK OFF and leave us alone.
    :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/double-cost-of-cutprice-booze-2833274.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

one word: NEWRY

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems to be a Dublin effort only.
    If this turns out to be a nation-wide effort then please push back to After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

rising the price of alcohol, cigarettes and Petrol is actually a very DANGEROUS thing to do ... very very dangerous ... this will only creat more gangs, roberies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

biko wrote: »
    Seems to be a Dublin effort only.
    If this turns out to be a nation-wide effort then please push back to After Hours.
    A Dublin effort to something that could well become nationwide including the 6 counties according to the Telegraph if it gets its way.

If this short sighted suggestion gains approval it will effect the whole country and put even more struggling pubs that depend on off sales out of business.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/mayor-urges-action-on-alcohol-price-16028718.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Irish solution to Irish problems:

Punish everyone rather than making the effort to enforce the rules already in place and deal with the minority who won't abide by them.

Applies to so many aspects of life in Ireland and is seen as the ideal solution. No one in power has to do any work or bear any responsibility, man in the street gets screwed, people breaking the rules see no impact as they continue to break them anyway and the air of resentment that everyone has for everyone else grows that little bit larger.

also there are no cheap offo's in Dublin, merely ones that are slightly less expensive than the norm

• Advertisement

What a stupid idea.
    Is he in cahoots with the publicans as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

If this short sighted suggestion gains approval it will effect the whole country and put even more struggling pubs that depend on off sales out of business.
    It would be more than compensated by people having one in the pub instead of just getting stuff from the offie, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

The principle is right-alcohol is way too cheap and people who shouldn't have it anywhere near them are able to purchase it in ridiculous quantities
    However,think that horse has well bolted the stable and don't know what the answer is..

mvt wrote: »
    The principle is right-alcohol is way too cheap and people who shouldn't have it anywhere near them are able to purchase it in ridiculous quantities
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    have you ever been to any other country?
    Alcohol here is horrifically expensive and when you can buy it is heavily restricted.

Take Italy or the US, two countries I have visited this year for example. In both in the shops Jameson is half what it is here for a bottle (11 to 12). Beer is about 12 quid for 30 X 330ml bottles (well 15X 660, but for comparison), wine which costs 20 here is 7-8 and local wine in Italy is even cheaper, a gallon of table wine can be got for less than €6

The difference in prices and how much we are getting ripped off is sensational, all you have to do is go to Newry to see it, and even they are not particularly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Where on earth can you get cans of beer for 47c in Dublin? He hasn't a clue what he's talking about. I buy the cheapest can of eurobeer in Superquinn and it's €1.29. Does it work in reverse? Even putting it up to €1 sounds like a bargain.

• Advertisement

I think the idea behind this is not the price of the alcohol rather the cost to society of people who shoudn't be drinking but because of its low cost are able to purchase it.
    I believe there is a push in Scotland and Wales to also have a minimum price for alcohol.
    Again,I have no idea how effective this would be but it might be better if we reflect on why these ideas are being considered and what is says about our culture.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Tazz T wrote: »
    Where on earth can you get cans of beer for 47c in Dublin? He hasn't a clue what he's talking about. I buy the cheapest can of eurobeer in Superquinn and it's €1.29. Does it work in reverse? Even putting it up to €1 sounds like a bargain.

I would love to know that too! Cheapest I can think of is Dunnes Lager at (well was) 79c a can, someone must be living in cloud cuckoo land thinking theres cheaper than that, and in most "convenience" offos the cheapest cans are around the euro mark

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And this is all brought to you by the same f*cking genius who brought in the 30kms speed limit in Dublin City centre.

To put it nicely, the guy is away with the bloody fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I saw this dude on the news last night thinking is he having a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Tazz T wrote: »
    Oh dear. You should move to continental Europe. In Belgium for a start, the most expensive, delicious artisanal beer made by actual freaking monks in an actual freaking monastery costs less per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,010 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think the idea behind this is not the price of the alcohol rather the cost to society of people who shoudn't be drinking but because of its low cost are able to purchase it.

There is a strong smell of 'poor people shouldn't be allowed enjoy themselves' off your post.

There are many people who shouldn't be drinking because they can't control themselves or have health problems, but for most of these people money isn't the issue. Actually, in some cases putting the price up will just impoverish their dependants quicker.

I'm 40 now, given the way this country is going with loudmouthed control freaks in positions of power telling everyone what to do 'for their own good' or to 'save the planet' :mad: , I fully expect that within my lifetime alcohol will be rationed if not banned outright.

Go down the offy - present your mandatory (for all ages) Garda ID Smartcard - "I'm sorry Mr. Ninja you've already exceeded your Healthy Alcohol Quota for this week."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe he has friends in the pub trade and they're leaning on him to hit the offies that are taking business away from pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

bluewolf wrote: »
    What a stupid idea.
    Is he in cahoots with the publicans as well?

This is the publicans work...Its pathetic, I very rarely drink myself but I think if anything is cheap in this country the vested interests try to get the prices hiked up just to benefit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

double the price i say, and do it quick - one thing though - -

double me bleeding wages you hairy cnts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pubs in the council area pay a lot in rates.
    There are fewer supermarkets in the city centre and DCC area and people buying are cheap alcohol in them

This has nothing to do with anti social behaviour, just trying to restrict supermarkets and off licences so pubs get more business and DCC get more rate money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

He also went on to say, with a semi-grin, 'Don't worry, it won't affect the price of your pint'

In other words, 'my brother, the publican 'SHOULD NOT', and I repeat, SHOULD NOT be affected by this. Now, who fancies a pint, ON ME, at the Dail bar... don't fret, I have an endless tab'

Or something like that

*he really did say the thing about the pint btw...the rest is artistic licence

Now, first person who finds a can of beer (500ml) for 50c gets a prize from me - A 50c can of beer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It was Publicans and the vittners association who lobbied the(ir TD/Garda relatives in the) previous government to bring back earlier closing hours in clubs and make the off licence closing hours 10pm instead of 1130, citing the smoking ban as their motivation as their industry was being 'savaged' by the loss of footfall.

This is more of the same and fvck it. It's ridiculous we were intimidated into 'embracing the european idea' with the Lisbon treaty etc, yet i can go into a bar anywhere in europe at 4 or 5am and get a beer and for a quater of the price it is here.

but like everything else in this country, we'll roll over and take this up the ass, no lube thanks, we're irish, we like gettin fvcked raw.

david75 wrote: »
    It was Publicans and the vittners association who lobbied the(ir TD/Garda relatives in the) previous government to bring back earlier closing hours in clubs and make the off licence closing hours 10pm instead of 1130, citing the smoking ban as their motivation as their industry was being 'savaged' by the loss of footfall.

This is more of the same and fvck it. It's ridiculous we were intimidated into 'embracing the european idea' with the Lisbon treaty etc, yet i can go into a bar anywhere in europe at 4 or 5am and get a beer and for a quater of the price it is here.

but like everything else in this country, we'll roll over and take this up the ass, no lube thanks, we're irish, we like gettin fvcked raw.

Well said, We are a flippin' disgrace of a race..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I don't agree with cheap beer, I hate our drink culture. Only fair that I lay my cards on the table to start.

The idea of regulating a supposed free market economy with a "minimum price" for anything, though, is just plain stupid. Tax it more and at least make a few quid from it maybe, but you can't just tell businesses what price to sell their goods at.

The off licence laws/hours are a moneymaking racket for pubs and clubs and a poor misguided attempt by the previous government to be seen to be doing something about our frankly torrid obsession with getting drunk. All it's led to is arguments and "pre-drinking" - where people arguably drink more to get locked, and then spend the same amount in the pub or club anyway just to stay topped up.

There's a receession on, and what do they do? Increase the price of a taxi and hack the nitelink service down to the bare minimum, and then a bit less. Then effectively sack 2,000 Gardaí so there's less order on the streets that are basically rivers of piss and puke from 12-6am most weekends.

This country really has been, and still is being, run by robots with trained chimps at the controls. It's yet another chink in the farcical chain we call government. Corrupt to the core, almost every last fúcking one of them.

The idea behind setting a minimum price for alcohol is an attempt to stem,or restrict,the flow of alcohol to underage and those adversely affected by alcohol,alcoholics and those living on the margins of society.The motivation for this has come from public health officials in the UK and other countries.It has nothing to do with publicans or the price of a bottle of Jameson or a 20 euro bottle of wine.
    The idea is possibly a misguided one but at least the sentiment behind it is good-concerned people,like Andrew Montegue,trying to help those whose lives are being destroyed by alcohol.Unlike the large supermarket chains and conglomerates who don't care about the effects of their policies.
    I don't know what the answer is.Enforcement of the existing laws don't seem to work.Maybe some of the other posters could take a minute to understand the rationale behind the policy and then offer some constructive criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Alright.. something we haven't clarified yet, where can you get cans for 49c?

The idea behind setting a minimum price for alcohol is an attempt to stem,or restrict,the flow of alcohol to underage and those adversely affected by alcohol,alcoholics and those living on the margins of society.

I don't know what the answer is.Enforcement of the existing laws don't seem to work.Maybe some of the other posters could take a minute to understand the rationale behind the policy and then offer some constructive criticism?

but price is not the solution, all stick and no carrot and a catchall that punishes everyone.
    Education and much much better and stricter enforcement of current laws is what's needed. Why should I have to pay through the roof for a few beers because a minority group of people are unable to control themselves when it comes to drink.

When it comes to underage drinking there is little enforcement and little consequence, the worst that happen is the Gardai will pour the drink out in front of you and drag you home, nothing else is done and the same story is repeated the next weekend. Put consequences against it, a couple of hours community service cleaning up the streets. Drunk in public (as an adult) is the same, told to go home, maybe locked up for a few hours to cool off, little more.

Combine that with better education of that whole subject, why we have such a culture, the drawbacks, how other countries effectively deal with it, the damage alcohol can do etc etc etc.
    A cultural change to alcohol is needed in Ireland and price is not going to be the point that'll change it, nor is restricting supply.

Alright.. something we haven't clarified yet, where can you get cans for 49c?

what about those Lidl / Aldi beers, are they that cheap?
    I know they're cheap and actually quite nice but not sure you'll get them at quite that price

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

what about those Lidl / Aldi beers, are they that cheap?
    I know they're cheap and actually quite nice but not sure you'll get them at quite that price

They all generally work out at about €2 per litre, so €1 a can. The only '47c' cans that may have existed were likely 330 ml or 440 ml ones, and probably only as some sort of one-off special.. Also, these cheaper cans tend to have a lower alcohol content.

There is a social problem with booze in this country, but a minimum price is not going to deter an alcholic

• Advertisement

The idea behind setting a minimum price for alcohol is an attempt to stem,or restrict,the flow of alcohol to underage and those adversely affected by alcohol,alcoholics and those living on the margins of society.The motivation for this has come from public health officials in the UK and other countries.It has nothing to do with publicans or the price of a bottle of Jameson or a 20 euro bottle of wine.
    The idea is possibly a misguided one but at least the sentiment behind it is good-concerned people,like Andrew Montegue,trying to help those whose lives are being destroyed by alcohol.Unlike the large supermarket chains and conglomerates who don't care about the effects of their policies.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement