Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving test

• 28-07-2011 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Just booked my bike test and I'm on the cancellation list.
    I have been driving a bike for 3 years on a provisional and have obviously picked up bad habits. anyway, Im doing the test in Ballincollig, cork.

Can anybody give me a quick layout / summary of the test (anything i find seems to relate to cars) i want information such as:
    • Route
    • Common mistakes
    • Things to lookout for
    and anything else that may benefit me.

Thanks you.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

The best advice I could give is to book a pre-test lesson.

Given that the driving test now costs €75 (or is it €85?), paying out €150 or so to give yourself the best chance of passing first time round is a solid investment in my opinion.

Edit: Found a link to this website in one of the FAQ posts in the forum - the document on pre-test information may be useful for you.

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pretest.html

(no connection to the site or the instructor myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

thanks, ya the test is €85, pre test is €140, kinda expensive ; my insurance only goes down €80 with a full lic.

but it has to be done i suppose. cant stay on a small bike forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Do a pre test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

And do a search of this forum, there's been a good few threads on tips & pointers for the test already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭djayforza

0O7 wrote: »
    Just booked my bike test and I'm on the cancellation list.
    I have been driving a bike for 3 years on a provisional and have obviously picked up bad habits. anyway, Im doing the test in Ballincollig, cork.

Can anybody give me a quick layout / summary of the test (anything i find seems to relate to cars) i want information such as:
    • Route
    • Common mistakes
    • Things to lookout for
    and anything else that may benefit me.

Thanks you.:confused:

I actually passed my test today at the 2nd attempt, I failed the first test on my road position and today nailed most things with only 4 marks against me.
    You don't need pretests to pass, I did one lesson a while back and just sorted what I was doing wrong, during your test just take it easy, don't filter, b4 moving lane or turning I used "mirror mirror lifesaver signal move". If you are a competent rider the tester will see that, remember they want you to pass they are not out to fail people so prepare and make it easy for the tester to pass ya. Do the simple things right and you will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

gipi wrote: »
    The best advice I could give is to book a pre-test lesson.

Given that the driving test now costs €75 (or is it €85?), paying out €150 or so to give yourself the best chance of passing first time round is a solid investment in my opinion.

Edit: Found a link to this website in one of the FAQ posts in the forum - the document on pre-test information may be useful for you.

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pretest.html

(no connection to the site or the instructor myself).

+1 for Dave, used him starting off and then also for my pre-test

op make sure ya do a pretest after all it is costing 85 notes these days to do the test

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I could be wrong but I'd say it's incredibly difficult to pass the test without having had any instruction & pre test beforehand. Just do it, spend the money and make sure you are 100% prepared and pass it first time, you'll regret it if you don't and fail cause of something silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

Zascar wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I'd say it's incredibly difficult to pass the test without having had any instruction & pre test beforehand. Just do it, spend the money and make sure you are 100% prepared and pass it first time, you'll regret it if you don't and fail cause of something silly.

i got a few lessons alright before when i was first driving a bike, but that was years ago, bad habbits since, ya id say ill take the advice and book a pre test for 2 weeks time.

Thanks

Advertisement