Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand racks??

• 28-07-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I'd be able to purchase a secondhand rack at reasonable money (<200)??
    I'm looking for something around the 20U mark, I've seen some 42U racks at cheap prices but they'd be too big for my uses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lackrack.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1264115747703

Lack racks, €3/5 a unit(I cant remember which), two minutes to assemble, stackable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

lackrack.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1264115747703

Lack racks, €3/5 a unit(I cant remember which), two minutes to assemble, stackable.
    Interesting, it'd be nice to able to use the rails on the servers that I have but at that kind of money, it'd be hard to justify buying a proper rack.
    How would they cope with the likes of a 25KG 2U server??

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Interesting, it'd be nice to able to use the rails on the servers that I have but at that kind of money, it'd be hard to justify buying a proper rack.
    How would they cope with the likes of a 25KG 2U server??

I have 2 IBM eServers in mine, each weigh roughly 13KG, I have them mounted with the front holding screws put into the front of the legs and then 4 screws on the underside that it simply sits on. This is quite stable. For a heavier unit I'd suggest you get a couple of L shaped mounts and mount it with that, should be fine to hold it up.

Plenty of ideas here: http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Good grief, is that not incredibly noisy for the poor sod on the laptop to the right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sparks wrote: »
    Good grief, is that not incredibly noisy for the poor sod on the laptop to the right?
    and god help ya if you want to change a network card or add more ram in one of the servers at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

From that setup I think it used more for storage and test and not full 24/7 usage.

In saying that, I've half build a Cisco CCNA training rig using the guts of 3 Lacks.

8StXq.jpg

Base it one upside-down then a top of another and a full 2nd on top.
    I'm just waiting on corner steal corners with wheels and a few L brackets.

Sparks wrote: »
    axer wrote: »
    and god help ya if you want to change a network card or add more ram in one of the servers at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

In saying that, I've half build a Cisco CCNA training rig using the guts of 3 Lacks.

Must do the same with my own, it's taking up valuable pizza box space on my desk! :D

Edit: Want wheels with that? I'll check measurements on it when I'm out there later. :)

I wonder would it be possible to fit rails to the lack tables, I have rails for one of my servers so it'd be nice to be able to use them :D

Lateral beam of wood between legs and attach it to that, if the rails don't of course fit in with the legs perfectly.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Lateral beam of wood between legs and attach it to that, if the rails don't of course fit in with the legs perfectly.
    The rails are attached to the ears on the server so I don't think they'd work seeing as the opening is exactly the width of the server. Are the legs solid wood or hollow??

• Advertisement

Hollow.

Havent measured mine but it seems they're slightly larger than 19", I have like 6/7mm free on either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This looks ideal for a PE2950 that is taking over half my desk at the min!

EDIT: Would this work do ye think: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90198412

Although if I could get a reasonably priced enclosure that would dampen the noise a bit that'd be a plus - any ideas?

Hollow.

Havent measured mine but it seems they're slightly larger than 19", I have like 6/7mm free on either side.
    I wonder if you used some form of L shaped brackets on the front and back to support the server without having to fix the server to the legs ie. just rest it on the brackets.

I think I'll pick up two or three of them, maybe put two together by putting one upside down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The wheel on that version don't look the best.
    I'm getting something like these but with larger steal base and better wheels.

9MWKX.jpg
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Must do the same with my own, it's taking up valuable pizza box space on my desk! :D

Edit: Want wheels with that? I'll check measurements on it when I'm out there later. :)

They're actually fine, saying that I've just got 4 * 1U cisco units in it.

a2541.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hollow.

LOL

what are the dimensions of a 19" rack anyway ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

0.0023989899 furlongs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gerryk wrote: »
    0.0023989899 furlongs
    :rolleyes:

Get your tape out and you'll find it's closer to 0.002241 furlongs :P

281280_1471328481325_1777020561_698418_2921089_n.jpg

Got the table free, so the total cost was 8 screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You lot realise those tables now need to come with warning stickers telling people that they're server racks and not coffee tables to rest coffee mugs on, right? Otherwise, when you power up and the purge cycle kicks in...

coffee,spill-0d85447c2aeac5198635d5ed95046871_m.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

look on the bright side a coffee table that keeps your coffee warm :)

In college we use them as heaters during the winter months:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you can usually nab used racks on adverts cheap/free.

Advertisement