Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSL Season 3 Session 2

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Important Info:
    Moviedrome on Henry St, Limerick is the venue once again. Please use the poll to vote for convenient dates (hoping to work around holidays as much as possible!) - vote for ALL that suit...

Game:
    Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition

Cost:
    Session will cost €8. This covers tournament, raffle entry and casuals.

Prize fund:
    One overall money pot now. €3 per session per player will go into the fund for the end of season. Top 3 get a payout. Once again, a raffle prize (David Sirlin's "Playing To Win") will be up for grabs; each attendee gets one ticket per session attended.

2nd: 12
    3rd: 10
    4th: 8
    5th-8th: 6
    8th-16th: 3
    16th-xth: 1

Format:
    Straight-up league. Everyone plays everyone in a best-of-three match.

League Standings after Session 1:
    1st: Shokashi - 15 points (+15)
    2nd: FutureGuy - 12 points (+12)
    3rd: D4RK ONION - 10 points (+10)
    4th: Robert - 8 points (+8)
    5th-8th: Burning Eclipse - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Sabre0001 - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Nathan - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Mr. K - 6 points (+6)

Study up on potential competition

🤪

State all dates that suit you... 17 votes

Saturday 6th August
    0%
    Saturday 13th August
    17%
    Sabre0001Burning Eclipsemackg 3 votes
    Saturday 20th August
    23%
    Sabre0001Misty ChaosSairusmackg 4 votes
    Saturday 27th August
    35%
    Sabre0001raah!D4RK ONIONShokashiGeneric_name01Robbknoll 6 votes
    Happy to leave until September
    23%
    Sabre0001FutureGuyraah!mackg 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

August is such a bad month in general for most people. I'm out of the country from the 8th till the 20th. Not sure if the 6th is too short notice but am happy to play then. I could make the 27th but that clashes with Tempest 6.

I'd be very happy to leave 3.2 till September and have casuals in August, or attend non-Limerick events.

I'm on a month break from games in general, but will make an exception for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Saturday 20th August
    Hopefully I'll be up for this one!
    Though I'm planning on running a Tempest on the 27th it being the 4th Saturday an' all, so hopefully this doesn't fall on that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Saturday 13th August
    6th suits me. I'm heading on honeymoon the 13th, back the 27th, so those 3 Saturdays (20th too) are out for me. As is the first weekend of September actually. So, I'm out for 4 weekends in a row. :o

Just to clarify, although one of the options I voted on was the 27th August, I was merely stating my availability. I don't want Glacial to ever clash with Tempest or Inferno.

Also, I might still be available on the 6th and the 20th, but would need decent notice. I fly out on the 8th and return on the 20th but would like to spend one of these weekends in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

Saturday 27th August
    i am not to fussed, either the 6th or the 20th.....hell i dont mind till sept. so ill leave the deciding up to you guys

• Advertisement

Saturday 27th August
    Yo. Could we get an update to when is the next one.. its just I haven't seen definite date to the next one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davidlpower

Shokashi wrote: »
    Yo. Could we get an update to when is the next one.. its just I haven't seen definite date to the next one. Thanks

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I know Sabre is busy doing his thesis (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056380743) so it may be a little while unless someone else steps up to the plate.

Orim wrote: »
    I know Sabre is busy doing his thesis (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056380743) so it may be a little while unless someone else steps up to the plate.

(Major) announcement shortly. Myself and Burning Eclipse will be running the next event.

Saturday 20th August

Ar, I meant to mention that when I posted in the other thread and totally forgot XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Aye but as per FutureGuys cryptic states something big is in the works. Could it involve the surveys we all spents hours filling out? Who knows?

Aye but as per FutureGuys cryptic states something big is in the works. Could it involve the surveys we all spents hours filling out? Who knows?

Haha, yes while there is something big in the works, this is not it...however, we're hoping to take a step forward with the next event.

We are basically looking at what events we are currently running in Limerick and whether it suits the needs of the local group and the players who might have an interest in attending one of our events.

-Is a league format the best way to attract players to Limerck, considering that if they are serious about cashing in the money, they would have to attend all 6 events (regardless of bugetary constraints?).
    Player attendance is giving us a clear indication.

-Is a 2-3 hour event enough to warrant getting on a 2-hour bus/train?
    Perhaps not.

We want to make it as enticing as possible for people to pay their hard earned cash to come and join us for the day. Don't get me wrong, there is always love for a league system, but if we can get a league event done in two hours, whats stopping us from running a proper tournament over the next 4 hours? Thats a solid day of gaming right there! League players are happy, tournament players are happy, and as organizers, we are extremely happy.

We're going to finalize plans soon, get dates sorted and get back to you all. We have other ideas but this is a good start. When the the third league system has been completed, we can review everything again.

For now, a show of hands regarding the combination of a league event AND a proper tournament?

Saturday 20th August
    I've never been a huge fan of the league format - namely because, as you mention, it requires six two hour return bus trips for me to be in with any chance of actually winning anything. Obviously the prize is not the only reason I go to events, but it's noticable when there's none there.
    I still try and get to every GSL I can manage, but because each event is usually one sixth of a whole I feel less urgent about making them.

Short answer: I'd approve of a tournament, with or without the league.

Sairus wrote: »
    I've never been a huge fan of the league format - namely because, as you mention, it requires six two hour return bus trips for me to be in with any chance of actually winning anything. Obviously the prize is not the only reason I go to events, but it's noticable when there's none there.
    I still try and get to every GSL I can manage, but because each event is usually one sixth of a whole I feel less urgent about making them.

Short answer: I'd approve of a tournament, with or without the league.

Thamks for the honesty Sairus. Yes, it can be quite costly to travel to Limerick (or any other intercity journey like Limerick to Dublin, Dublin to Cork etc), and knowing you won't win any money to offset your costs might put people off even bothering to attend one event.

Just to add to my previous comment. It is equally important to us that we cater for our own scene too. There are many Limerick players that cannot attend our own events due to when they are being held.

The next Limerick event will give us a feeler for how we can changes things to better suit people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have to be honest, I would be attending both the Cork and Limerick events if it were possible for me, but with all the work travel and some personal issues I simply haven't been able to put in the time I used to. I know I am far from the norm, but if I have to choose, I usually choose the North.

Belfast has a number of advantanges which possibly you should take into consideration.

1) Venue. It's in an SU. Not everyone has this option :D but anyway. The locations is roomy and spacious and I'm afforded my own personal table at it, just like Inferno, so I can...

2) Record. There's not going to be commentary in the current location, comfy as it is. It might help attendance if you were able to put out HD videos (I know several Irish FG players got their first clue to finding us at this point through the vids). Also, if you do grow the attendance, where exactly are they going to go? :D Of late as well I've noticed that commentary allows a kind of... running narrative to tournaments, like a story unfolding, if you get me. All good things.

3) Prizes. Not for me, I've attended tournaments and come first and got a prize less than the cost of attending. I go because I love playing competitively. I have noticed though, new people, they like the goal to aim for. I think it legitimises a tournament in their eyes somewhat. So I'd kinda agree with Sairus, with the provisio that I am aware if attendance is not high there's pretty much no sustainable way to provide a prize without some form of sponsorship.

That's all I can think of right now.

Saturday 27th August
    i like this idea, both GSL and a tourney would be a good plan, that way we get the best of both. on that note, will both GSL and tournament players be able to take part in both events if they are to be hosted at the same time?

i like this idea, both GSL and a tourney would be a good plan, that way we get the best of both. on that note, will both GSL and tournament players be able to take part in both events if they are to be hosted at the same time?

In theory, yes, as they would run one after the other. 12-230 for league, 230-1830 for tournament. It would be tight, but doable if we had 3 tvs going and if everyone keeps on top of their play schedule.

Matt, I thought you had left the country, will you be around in October? The fact is, we have Inferno this Sunday, DOC4 on the 17th, Tempest on the 24 so theoretically the 8th October is the best date (keeping first Saturday available for Inferno). I'll confirm a date once I get the venue booked.

Saturday 27th August
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Matt, I thought you had left the country, will you be around in October? The fact is, we have Inferno this Sunday, DOC4 on the 17th, Tempest on the 24 so theoretically the 8th October is the best date (keeping first Saturday available for Inferno). I'll confirm a date once I get the venue booked.

to be honest, i am most likely stuck here till x-mas so you guys may or may not have this cody fighter for long.

still itching to play you guys again back in Limerick

Saturday 27th August
    just asking, but do we have a date set to the next upcoming GSL.or is it still in the planning stages?

i know you said the 8th would be the best option but i think the planning may take longer to organise, especially to finding a new venue

having any luck?

just asking, but do we have a date set to the next upcoming GSL.or is it still in the planning stages?

i know you said the 8th would be the best option but i think the planning may take longer to organise, especially to finding a new venue

having any luck?

Just beat me to it. I'm ringing Moviedrome today and booking the place. I'm going to book it for the 8th and should have things confirmed later today.

• Advertisement

Saturday 27th August
    Just beat me to it. I'm ringing Moviedrome today and booking the place. I'm going to book it for the 8th and should have things confirmed later today.

Sweet. Looking forward to it. Is it still just the league or you throwing in the tournament too?

Sweet. Looking forward to it. Is it still just the league or you throwing in the tournament too?

Right, it looks like this will be on the 15th October. It doesn't clash with any other events and it looks like being a better date overall. It also gives people access to cheaper trains because we are booking earlier. Tried to get through to MovieDrome today but couldn't.

We are going to run a league event followed by a proper tournament providing I can book the venue for the entire day.

It might be a little tight, and given the fact it's our first proper tournament, it mightn't run perfectly smooth. However, I think everyone agrees that its a step forward we need to take.

To be honest, had the first glacial league of the season been attended my only limerick players, we would probably move the league to a week night to better suit Limerick players and run tournaments on the second Saturday of the month. However, because we did have out of towners, it would be unfair to change to a weeknight mid-season.

We will see if we can run both events sequentially, and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Saturday 13th August
    Right, it looks like this will be on the 15th October. It doesn't clash with any other events and it looks like being a better date overall. It also gives people access to cheaper trains because we are booking earlier. Tried to get through to MovieDrome today but couldn't.

We are going to run a league event followed by a proper tournament providing I can book the venue for the entire day.

It might be a little tight, and given the fact it's our first proper tournament, it mightn't run perfectly smooth. However, I think everyone agrees that its a step forward we need to take.

To be honest, had the first glacial league of the season been attended my only limerick players, we would probably move the league to a week night to better suit Limerick players and run tournaments on the second Saturday of the month. However, because we did have out of towners, it would be unfair to change to a weeknight mid-season.

We will see if we can run both events sequentially, and go from there.

How come the 8th doesn't work? :(

Ok I spoke to one of the lads at moviedrome. The manager is not back until Friday and the guy didn't seem to want to take a booking. The 8th October seems free and that has always been my preferred date so that's good.

However, it seems that they are down to two working Xboxes from the usual four. I'm going to have to talk to Paul on Friday to discuss our options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Saturday 20th August
    We always bring down some of our own for the day, just saying.

Also, what time would you be thinking of starting?

Saturday 20th August
    However, it seems that they are down to two working Xboxes from the usual four. I'm going to have to talk to Paul on Friday to discuss our options.
    I can bring up a monitor and 360 if the MovieDrome will let us set them up.

Saturday 27th August
    I can bring my xbox down like last time with a copy of AE on it

just to point out rules should be set for both events if you have not done so all ready :p

just like to suggest a rule for Blanka users, Alt 3 costume not to be used. i know its not just me but it ****s up so many well planned attacks

We always bring down some of our own for the day, just saying.

Also, what time would you be thinking of starting?
    Sairus wrote: »
    I can bring up a monitor and 360 if the MovieDrome will let us set them up.

Thanks for the offers lads, I'll defiantely keep it mind. The fact that we are paying for the tv/console set-up and there are only 2 consoles, I'll speak to the manager to see if we can get a discount of some sort.

Saturday 27th August
    future did you have any luck sorting things out with moviedrome? oh please say its good news :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement