Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kona Hunky Tonk

• 28-07-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi veterans, I never had a road bike and I would like to get one now but I am not interested in speed or performance.. just looking for something comfortable for my commuting and for light trainings during the weekend. I am also after a little bit of style to be honest... after all the look plays its part :D
    I literally fell in love with the Kona Hunky Tonk (steel frame) which also has that "retro" look I love...
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=honky_tonk
    but...
    there is obviously a downside... the bike costs 899 Euro.
    I was wondering if it is worth to spend that kind of money for an entry level even though the specs don't seem to be that bad to me... (tiagra, sora)

Any suggestion or experience with this stunning looking ride?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Pretty sure this model is reduced in Cycleogical on the Quays. Not sure about sizes, but definitely worth giving them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

clod71 wrote: »
    Any suggestion

Buy it. It looks lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I like it. That geometry on a steel frame is unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Pretty sure this model is reduced in Cycleogical on the Quays. Not sure about sizes, but definitely worth giving them a ring.

I am looking for a 53cm. I will give them a ring... Thanks for the tip

I am looking for a 53cm. I will give them a ring... Thanks for the tip

just rang them.. they only have 59cm in stock.
    it looks like nobody has them anymore... :(
    The 2012 model is coming out Sept 5th but it's going to be metallic brown with black saddle and ribbons... :mad:

Kona_2012.jpg

• Advertisement

The Genesis Equilibrium is a nice looking steel frame in red.

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Genesis_Equilibrium.html

For about €1150 you could get one of those with 10sp silver Veloce, Aksiums, Charge Spoon saddle and matching tape, silver seatpost and stem.

Would look lovely and be a bit of a step up from Sora/Tiagra.

I suggest you abandon this thread before we bankrupt you. :pac:

(resists posting pics of Colnago Master X Light)

Lumen wrote: »
    I suggest you abandon this thread before we bankrupt you. :pac:

(resists posting pics of Colnago Master X Light)

:)

This red Genesis looks really nice, but it's way over budget for me.
    As for the Colnago.. the red Saronni on the Master X (I couldn't resist googling it) is certainly beautiful but comes at no discount I'd say even for an italian like me....

Anybody had any experience or ever heard of this american Kona(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I've had a Kona Paddy Wagon (fixie) for over a year now. Great bike, and the frame feels really nice. The small steel tubes look great. Not the lightest in the world, but solid quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

:)

This red Genesis looks really nice, but it's way over budget for me.
    As for the Colnago.. the red Saronni on the Master X (I couldn't resist googling it) is certainly beautiful but comes at no discount I'd say even for an italian like me....

Anybody had any experience or ever heard of this american Kona(s)?

Velo on here has one iirc correctly. Certainly a good looking bike. I'd have no problem buying one.

Something like this Pompetamine might be worth a look at?

I'm building an 11sp one of those at the moment. I'm reserving final judgement until it's done, but I would hesitate to recommend them over a normal derailleur-geared road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Velo on here has one iirc correctly. Certainly a good looking bike. I'd have no problem buying one.

sorry Tiny.. what's iirc? :confused:
    As for the bike suggested (Versa).. it's not my cup of tea. I like the "Macinato" model but with a fixie in Cork I wouldn't go too far I think.

OT: I can't believe they have a model called "Pompino" :) (google translate italian-english for the curious ones)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

sorry Tiny.. what's iirc? :confused:
    As for the bike suggested (Versa).. it's not my cup of tea. I like the "Macinato" model but with a fixie in Cork I wouldn't go too far I think.

OT: I can't believe they have a model called "Pompino" :) (google translate italian-english for the curious ones)

If I Recall Correctly

http://covebike.com/bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I have the 2009 Kona Kapu.
    2692.jpg

I love this bike...and doggy:)

I very nearly bought the Kona Honky Inc for my commute to work before

Coronal wrote: »
    I've had a Kona Paddy Wagon (fixie) for over a year now. Great bike, and the frame feels really nice. The small steel tubes look great. Not the lightest in the world, but solid quality.

Thanks Coronal. Must be hard going up the hill though, right?

Thanks Coronal. Must be hard going up the hill though, right?

It's not THAT heavy :). Its 10 kg weight is noticeable over the 7.5 of my Planet X, but that's still at the nicer end of the scales. Prettiness is worth at least a kilo of weight :pac: Lighter wheels would probably make mine feel a lot better, but it mostly serves for commuting so the standard 32 spoke Alex rims are pretty good for that.

It's not THAT heavy :). Its 10 kg weight is noticeable over the 7.5 of my Planet X, but that's still at the nicer end of the scales. Prettiness is worth at least a kilo of weight :pac: Lighter wheels would probably make mine feel a lot better, but it mostly serves for commuting so the standard 32 spoke Alex rims are pretty good for that.

I love the idea of a fixie, but I don't want to spend 349 pounds to find myself pushing it up the hill :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised what you'd get up on a fixie if you know you have to. But if you're just starting out, then it's not really a good idea to hit mountains on one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Lovely bike, but those levers kill it for me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Its drilled for downtube shifters but definitely comes with Tiagra STI shifters.

You'd be surprised what you'd get up on a fixie if you know you have to. But if you're just starting out, then it's not really a good idea to hit mountains on one :pac:

yup.. exactly :)
    and despite I'll have to wait until September before putting my hands on it I have now my mind set on the Hunky Tonk - even if it's not the lightest and most spec'ed bike in the world.
    In fact, I liked very much the statement on the Gunnar Sport landing page. It says: "For some people, it’s more about miles than it is the miles per hour"
    well.. that's me.
    Thanks everyone for the replies and the good (even if expensive) suggestions

Till then... I'll try to act as a cyclist

/Clod

Advertisement