Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what bull for these herefords

• 28-07-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

just wondering what bull you guys would think of putting with these 2 heifirs, i hope to AI them later in the year. and calve them down next sept/oct.
    i know these is more to bull selection then you can tell from a picture but if you have any thought let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Just use Herefords on them again last time I looked the figures were in or around some of the blues like edj that could have changed but their only figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

What herefords were you looking at mjcom?

OP - What system are you running? are you looking to finsh offspring or sell as weanlings? Or are you looking for replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

i should have said that they are pedigree and i will more then likely be using a hereford bull on them anyway.
    what i really want is replacement heifirs from them as they are from 2 lovely cows, that said i will proberly gets bulls when i want hefirs!

i keep mosly pedigree cows and only coss breed when i do not think they are good breeding cows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I bet they are lovely and quiet too.

yes they are quite most of the time, i do not keep mad animals or anything i find hard to work with.
    but to be honest i think that most animal respond to the way they are treated.
    it was one of the reasons i chose herefords in the first place at the start.

easy calving, easy to keep

• Advertisement

Dovea and NCBC both have nice polled herefords at the moment. GCT and DPS

GCT has poor star raing for calving and i rate easy calving as essential,
    while DPS has high rating but very low reliability.

thanks for your input, any other suggections, i was thik of churchhill storm if i can get some straws.

Keep your powder dry untill after the next run of proofs in August. I wouldnt be suprised to see GCTs calving difficulty drop as he gets more calves on the ground.

Are you a member of the hereford society? Would you use straws of Rathcore Ranger?

i did not know there was another run in August, i can wait until after then to get more up todate figures on some other bulls i am thinking of.
    Yes i am member of the hereford breed improvement programme but pretty new to it yet.

RRA is another one to consider alright.

have you used him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

This was last year with ncbc on their index they were fairly old bulls too

• Advertisement

was AUT one of them? There is big question marks over how some ancient sligo bulls sudenly shot up the rankings despite no straws of theirs being used in a decade.

No havent used any RRA but have heard good things about him and he hasnt been used much recently so would be an outcross for pompai and churchhill storm bloodlines

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

check out the breed improvement brochure on irishhereford.com....there's a list of the breed improvement scheme bulls there...seems to be quite alot of good cattle off bowmont storm in the last year...also appears to be good take up on alot of the new bulls that are only available in the last few months like mawarra sentimental but we don't know yet how theyl breed...

they look like nice heifers...what bull are they out of?....i'd say bowmont storm or maybe one of the older irish bulls like rathcor ranger or balleen generator...you should get nice reliable calves out either of them...

one of them is out of Yarrm star general and ervic classic on her dam's side, the other is out of carnuefree prince.

still not sure what bull to use on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lucky william

Does any of you have any yarram Pompeii or churchill storm straws for sale? Any one or two will do! Or ervie classic all hard enough to get! Thanks.

Advertisement