Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog run

• 28-07-2011 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I originally posted this in Animals And Pet issues but they told me to go here, so

i have two JRT dogs, up until now they have been kept in an enclosed fenced in garden.

Circumstances have changed (mainly due to our neighbours redoing their garden) that means we have to get them a dog run. Now money isn't flush right now and me and the OH thought we could make a go of building one ourselves.

So any ideas of how we would do this?? We were thinking about buying mesh or chain link rolls with some timber and making one up.. Anyone in any experience in this? We don't own the house, if we did we would invest in putting up a new fence but seeing as we will only be there for another year it seems unlikely!

Any help on where to source the cheapest materials would be greatful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

If you hunt around you can find decent second hand site safety fence panels very cheaply, mesh is a bit large for JRT's so put some one inch chicken wire around the bottom 3 feet. If they dig out put concrete blocks around the edge. Overkill for JRT's but keeps our **** and JRT in no problem and can be moved/extended easily, think our run is about 24ft by 12ft thats 6 panels. Dogs each have a very large traditional style kennel in side the run.

If you want to use chain link glambia had 25m 4ft high lenghts for around 100euro last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

See i wouldn't need the panels to be very long, 4m would be more than enough.

Any suggestions on where to get the builders fencing?

There's no Glanbia to my knowledge in Donegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

What I'm on about are the fencing sections that are about 10 foot long and 6ft high that builders use around sites to stop people getting access.

fencing%204.jpg

So see if there is anyone locally who has built a house recently. My local bulders merchants sells them for 40euro each but they are not as heavy a gauge as they used to be, other builders merchants have them for about 60euro cost depends also on if you want the joining sections and feet. I use the feet and put concrete blocks under the bottom bar.

But probably over kill for a couple of small dogs.

Edit> Don't need a door as I just lift one section out in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Fence 4m long

3x 4.8m 4x2 treated
    4x 3" treated stakes
    4m 1" chicken wire (if you can find somewhere that will cut a roll - Quinns Baltinglass, Wicklow did for me)
    1x Box staples

I done 6.3m or thereabouts in an L-shape - didnt cost €60 for everything and only took about 2 hours start to finish

Edit - to stop my JRT digging I took off the sod, the width of a shovel, from the inside of the line of the fence, placed the chicken wire into this and up along inside of rails , then placed sods back over. (ie bent it into an l-shape with the bottom of the 'L' (about 300mm) finishing beneath ground level) - By doing this, the little burrowing f***er would need a shovel of her own to get out!!!

Advertisement