Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Meath Commuter towns

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently living and working in Dun Loaghaire, have been for the almost 2 years now and while I love my job, I don't particularity enjoy living in south Dublin, mainly due to having to pay high rent for whats a pretty poor flat.

I'm originally from north Meath (bordering Louth) and so would like to find a common ground where commuting to work is not too stressful and I can tip up to north Meath when I want to and still be able to get back to my place of residence at a reasonable time in the evenings/nights.

So I'm looking for help and suggestions on what would be a nice area in south Meath to look into renting?

Somewhere that €600 - €700 a month would get me a nice apartment, where its an hour or less to travel from there to Dun Loaghaire via car, where its also pretty easy to get to north Meath too, easy access to N3 or N2. A nice extra would be easy access to Dublin city via public transport for a few nights out but not essential.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What about somewhere like Skerries?

I have relatives there and they love it, one of them commutes to Dublin city everyday on dublin bus and has no hassle and you are driving would be out onto the M1/M50 in fairly quick time.

If it was me I would like something like this rather than an apartment. A little bit more expensive but I like my outside space.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1070689

The only other place I can think of is Dunboyne, I had relatives living there for a while as well. Much better now the motorway is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Too old! :D I'd like to move to something thats very modern, outside space is not required as long as I can get into the car and go for a drive, something that really annoys me about living in Dun Loaghaire is that going for a drive is not really possible due to the traffic!

Dunboyne does seem to be the one place that jumps out, I'll have a browse on Daft for whats available in Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If it's nice drives, any road out of Ratoath is out into beautiful countryside. Only downside is the public transport isn't great for getting home from Dublin of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Doesn't quite meet the South Meath requirement, but you could have a look at Leixlip, just over the border - good road network (N4 to M50 and you'll avoid the Westlink toll!), fairly good rail service (ok bus service too) and only 40 mins from Louth (Drogheda).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not much on the rental market for < €700 in Leixlip unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Wow, no recession in Leixlip rentals then! I did a daft.ie search and probably found the single apartment on offer for 700 euro that you found yourself!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1068754

As it happens, I know the area it's in quite well (I used to live in that estate) - the apartments are right beside the shops (they were built in part of the shopping area's carpark!), and it is less than 5 mins walk/stroll to the railway station!

(no connection to the place, by the way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

You could try Maynooth either.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1079324
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1066123

It's 38mins to Connolly by train / under 30mins if it goes direct and served by
    the 66/67/67n bus routes. The 66n goes as far as Leixlip if you want to stay out later :pac:
    It's about 15mins drive to Dunboyne and less to Liffey Valley.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dunboyne is probably your best bet in terms of what you are looking for, not sure what the rental market is like though. You'd probably do Dunboyne to Dun Laoghaire in around 40 mins via M3 and M50. Of course you'd need to factor in tolls going that way so you might want to check some alternative routes.

Dunboyne has the route 70 Dublin Bus, and also now the train so no shortage of public transport. It's much easier to get there now (and to anywhere in Meath really) also via the N/M3 since the M50 junction has been upgraded - it's a breeze crossing the M50 now by car, even at rush hour. It's also served by a Nitelink service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

'Dunboyne has the route 70 Dublin Bus, and also now the train so no shortage of public transport. It's much easier to get there now (and to anywhere in Meath really) also via the N/M3 since the M50 junction has been upgraded - it's a breeze crossing the M50 now by car, even at rush hour. It's also served by a Nitelink service'

Interesting... I might be moving to Dunboyne and I've been looking at its public transport (comparing it to Balbriggan where I currently live) and its seriously lacking from what I can see. There is one train in the morning that would suit me and twice this week that train has been cancelled due to technical fault! (the next one will mean i'm late for work...) the last train home is around 9ish which is awful, at least there are buses later than that but again there is no bus suitable in the evenings (one at 5.40 which is quite late). I am wondering how Dunboyne residents commute, do they mostly drive? So far i've come up with two alternative options: 1. Cycle to Clonsilla train station & commute from there or 2: drive to the phoenix park and commute, possibly by bike, from there.
    I'd love to hear how others are doing it if they work in the city centre and how reliable the train service is and what to do when you're in town late etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Dunboyne would be your best bet sure it is practially Dublin at this stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement