Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse -gold medal and Dungarvan bronze @Brewing Industry International Awards

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Read this in the paper this morning and thought I would copy and paste it to here.

The Porterhouse Brewing Company has been awarded the much sought after gold medal at the Brewing Industry International Awards, dubbed “The Brewing Oscars” which took place in Burton-Upon-Trent. Their famous stout, Plain Porter has come up trumps a second time after winning the award previously in 1998 two years after The Porterhouse began brewing in their microbrew-pub in Temple Bar. The awards, structured into 9 categories with 32 classes, medals are difficult to win and therefore every win is that much more prestigious.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dungarvan's Black Rock Stout won a bronze medal in one of the other categories too.

The full 2011 run-down is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

BeerNut wrote: »
    Dungarvan's Black Rock Stout won a bronze medal in one of the other categories too.

Shepard Neame Whitstable Bay beat Black Rock? I would have put those two in completely different leagues taste wise. With Black Rock miles ahead. Oh well, guess I'm not the professional judging it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Updated the heading to include Dungarvans achievement also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Just noticed that porterhouse has a big banner over the central location

Congrats again to both breweries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Congratz to both. Great achievement.
    Mo14 wrote: »
    Shepard Neame Whitstable Bay beat Black Rock? I would have put those two in completely different leagues taste wise. With Black Rock miles ahead. Oh well, guess I'm not the professional judging it :)

Thats a bit of a joke! Whitstable Bay is terribly bland. Black Rock Stout is one of our best. Strange!

How are these things ran? I assume is blind tastings (Category 1: beer 1, beer 2, beer 3 etc) and the tasters have score cards or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Fair play to both of them. Marking Ireland on the brewing map for something other than Guinness!!

slayerking wrote: »
    How are these things ran?
    This one is run like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

This one is run like this.

Hmmm Interesting.... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

It's a strange result anyway. If they were football players, porterhouse plain (which is ok) wouldn't be fit to lace Blackrocks boots. Even Wrassler xxxx is a lovely stout and much nicer than plain. You'd imagine if porterhouse were to win it, they would give the medal to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fair play to both of them. Marking Ireland on the brewing map for something other than Guinness!!

Especially as we have only 15 micro breweries versus the likes of Britain with 760.

Good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

I'd pick the 4X over the Plain any day, but I guess my palate is not subtle enough to discern its merits !

Also, wtf is this :
    AFFLIGEM – ALKEN MAES - BLOND
    BELGIUM
    SILVER

A quick googling tells me that Maes and Affligem are brewed on the same site, and owned by Heineken. But I'm wondering which beer are they talking about. Maes pils ? Affligem blonde ?

The former is a tasteless, watery thing, and the latter is a generic abbey-style blonde, not too bad but without any specific merit. Or maybe I've missed something more interesting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

LaBaguette wrote: »
    I'd pick the 4X over the Plain any day, but I guess my palate is not subtle enough to discern its merits !

At 5% ABV, Wrasslers XXXX doesn't fit into the category Plain won.

My bad, I tend to forget this detail ! And I've never had the chance to taste any of the 4.8 to 5.7 category, nor heard about the two UK ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

LaBaguette wrote: »

Also, wtf is this :

A quick googling tells me that Maes and Affligem are brewed on the same site, and owned by Heineken. But I'm wondering which beer are they talking about. Maes pils ? Affligem blonde ?

The former is a tasteless, watery thing, and the latter is a generic abbey-style blonde, not too bad but without any specific merit. Or maybe I've missed something more interesting ?

AFFLIGEM – ALKEN MAES - BLOND means Affligem Blond, as brewed by Alken Maes brewery (see also ASAHI BREWERIES – SHEPHERD NEAME – ASAHI SUPER DRY)

Ok, so now I'm confused. Either they dramatically improved their beer since I left France, or they gave ****loads of money to the jury Oo

I think there are a few Affligem fans knocking around on this forum. I haven't tasted it in ages so wouldn't like to comment :)

Advertisement