Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardmulchan House

Options
  • 28-07-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    Does anyone know if there is public access into Ardmulchan House outside Navan? The only gate i seen that looks like it leads to it was wrapped in barbed wire with no tresspassing on it, but when I was at Dunmoe Castle, I seen a number of people jogging on the path on the Ardmuchan side of the river. Would love to get up close to see this place.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

You probably saw people walking along the boyne walk (It's called the ramparts walk, isn't it?), that brings you right up on the side of Ardmulchan House, opposite Dunmoe castle and below Ardmulchan ruins. No way to get up to the house from there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

That the redbrick place? Does Mountcharles live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    That the redbrick place? Does Mountcharles live there?

It is the red brick house but L H Mountcharles resides in Slane castle.

I always tought it to be private as there are no signs advertising its presence at it's entrance on the Boyne road. Gates are always locked too.

Some info here on not only Ardmulchan but of alot of other interesting sites in the area. Happy reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

It is the red brick house but L H Mountcharles resides in Slane castle.

I always tought it to be private as there are no signs advertising its presence at it's entrance on the Boyne road. Gates are always locked too.

Some info here on not only Ardmulchan but of alot of other interesting sites in the area. Happy reading.

AFAIK 'enry lives up the river near Stackallen Bridge in an other big Georgian pile house left to him by his uncle....?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

AFAIK 'enry lives up the river near Stackallen Bridge in an other big Georgian pile house left to him by his uncle....?

Yeah, Im pretty sure he doesnt live in the castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Yes Henry lives near Beauparc AFAIK. Is Ardmulchan house still occupied ? The original owners (Martins) are buried in the nearby cemetery overlooking the house and Dunmoe castle. Not sure if their family still own it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

hmboards wrote: »
    Is Ardmulchan house still occupied ?

We'll find out tonight.................;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Ah ardmulchan the home place smile.gif, i was only walking around it during the week, ardmulchan house or castle as we used to call it and its grounds is not open to the public, its still very much occupied and the martins dont own it, riddell martin who owned it many years ago is not buried in the cemetry but there maybe a relation who is, oh and mountcharles lives in beauparc, down beside beauparc station.

Ah ardmulchan the home place smile.gif, i was only walking around it during the week, ardmulchan house or castle as we used to call it and its grounds is not open to the public

So Big Daddy, any chance of us getting in to take a few photos?

So Big Daddy, any chance of us getting in to take a few photos?

not a chance i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

think a lad called galvin owns it

not a chance i'd say.

There's me thinking you owned it and would be willing to allow a few fellow boardsies in......

There's me thinking you owned it and would be willing to allow a few fellow boardsies in......

ha i still would'nt let ye in anyway if i did own it ;), vego is right, the galvins own it now, years ago there used to be cross country horse trials there and you could walk around the grounds but not into the castle, since that stopped, its become very private.

Advertisement