Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't open any files after removing virus...

• 28-07-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I've been on here before with problems. I used the Anti-Malware programme to get rid of the virus (it was Trojan Horse), and I think it worked. However, I can't seem to open any files on my computer now. When I click on iTunes, a window pops up saying that I have to open it with Adobe, and when I try to it doesn't work. This same window pops up on everything I try to open. I'm mainly worried that my entire iTunes library has been cleared or something. Any advice on what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Assuming you are using Windows. It sound like your file associations have been changed.

Locate the file right click and choose open with, then select choose programme. Choose the appropriate programme from the list and check the box always use this programme to open this type of file.

E.g. use your media player to open media files.

Alternatively under explorer you could click on Tools choose folder options and then the file type tab, you can then go down and change any which are using an incorrect programme to open them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't know which programme to open it with though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

do you have the mbam log ?

Download and run RKill. It will fix the EXE associations. What has happened here is that the malware has set executable files to open through itself, removing the malware means you can't run programs anymore unless the file associations are reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

here ya go

• Advertisement
Advertisement