Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router lights flashing when pc off

• 28-07-2011 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

This morning before i turned on any computer the wi fi and internet light was flashing on my zyxel p660HW t1 v3 router with wpa security and firewall?

Could this be benign?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

This is normal. Even though your pc is not turned on, the router is still connected and will continue to send and receive small amounts of data with your ISP.
    If your worried about it you could just unplug your router when you go to bed. I tend to leave mine on the whole time and only reset it if I have issues. The first thing I do in the morning is check emails and news on my phone and it's handy to have the wifi for that.
    As far as I know, there should be no issue with unplugging your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

gouche wrote: »
    This is normal. Even though your pc is not turned on, the router is still connected and will continue to send and receive small amounts of data with your ISP.
    If your worried about it you could just unplug your router when you go to bed. I tend to leave mine on the whole time and only reset it if I have issues. The first thing I do in the morning is check emails and news on my phone and it's handy to have the wifi for that.
    As far as I know, there should be no issue with unplugging your router.
    thanks for that;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The wifi light on routers usually only flash when something is using the wireless i've seen the internet light flash a couple of times but never the wireless unless smeone using a laptop or other wireless device is connected to it.

You should keep an eye on it and see if it continues to do it.
    I've one of the older netopia routers with eircom and i can see what devices are connected to my netopia if i want does the zyxel have this function if so you could check this if you notice the wireless and internet lights flashing again when your PC is off this will tell you for definate if someone else is using your wifi.

They are finding ways to break into wpa security now altough wpa is way stronger than wep its still not unbreakable.

jay93 wrote: »
    The wifi light on routers usually only flash when something is using the wireless i've seen the internet light flash a couple of times but never the wireless unless smeone using a laptop or other wireless device is connected to it.

You should keep an eye on it and see if it continues to do it.
    I've one of the older netopia routers with eircom and i can see what devices are connected to my netopia if i want does the zyxel have this function if so you could check this if you notice the wireless and internet lights flashing again when your PC is off this will tell you for definate if someone else is using your wifi.

They are finding ways to break into wpa security now altough wpa is way stronger than wep its still not unbreakable.
    how can i look at router page when the pc is off:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

MapForJ wrote: »
    how can i look at router page when the pc is off:confused:

If you have a smart phone, enable WIFI, and type http://192.168.1.254 which will bring you to the Router homepage.
    (I'm assuming your smart phone is allowed connect to your router).

• Advertisement

If you have a smart phone, enable WIFI, and type http://192.168.1.254 which will bring you to the Router homepage.
    (I'm assuming your smart phone is allowed connect to your router).
    oh did not think of that and do not have smart phone. is this the page you mean?
    Actually i do have a smart phone but rarely use it

Advertisement