Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steward for Prince Gig

Options
  • 28-07-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Not sure if anyone can help here ...
    I've been asked to steward for the Prince Gig on Saturday And I think I said yes a bit too quickly ...
    I was told that I wasn't going to get paid which wasn't a big deal for me cause I'd get to see the gig, but then I found out that I'd have to be there about 3 - I don't know why I didn't realise this. I was chatting to a friend though and she's done this before but she said she always got paid. Now like I say, I'm not really that bothered about the pay but I would hate to think someone was taking the p1ss and pocketing the money
    Anyone any experience of this ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Who asked you to do it?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

You're working - you should be paid for your time. By the way, you're working so Im guessing you should loose any thoughts you may have about standing in the crowd watching the show like a normal "punter".

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Oh get that I wouldn't be a normal punter and that's grand but i would imagine most of the stewarding is done before and after the gig so I'd get to see a bit of it ... But even if I didn't - No biggie, I'd hear it :-)

It was a guy that works with my sister asked her to do it. Anyway, I found out since I last posted that someone was supposed to mail her by lunchtime from a crowd called forbidden fruit volenteers - I suppose there's a clue in there somewhere (d'oh)!! No sign of the mail though. Google told me that there was a forbidden fruit festival in June and the stewards were volenteers who worked 2 6hr shifts over the weekend in return for access to the gig. They also had to pay a "bond" which was refundable at the end of the festival.

Am I right to be smelling a rat ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Oh get that I wouldn't be a normal punter and that's grand but i would imagine most of the stewarding is done before and after the gig so I'd get to see a bit of it ... But even if I didn't - No biggie, I'd hear it :-)

It was a guy that works with my sister asked her to do it. Anyway, I found out since I last posted that someone was supposed to mail her by lunchtime from a crowd called forbidden fruit volenteers - I suppose there's a clue in there somewhere (d'oh)!! No sign of the mail though. Google told me that there was a forbidden fruit festival in June and the stewards were volenteers who worked 2 6hr shifts over the weekend in return for access to the gig. They also had to pay a "bond" which was refundable at the end of the festival.

Am I right to be smelling a rat ??

I do something similar every year at the Leeds festival with a crowd called Hot Box Events. Volunteer stewarding groups do exist like you are explaining. So don't think of it as a scam just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Stevo2007

Sounds like your a volunteer steward. They do that for big events like EP/Oxegen/Slane etc. Basically you have to work a few hours and in return you get a free ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah that is different if there's set terms for how long you work in return for access to the gig.

They run that at Electric Picnic too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

If you're stewarding or doing security then you deserve to be paid. The only times i never got paid for work when dealing with gigs was when i was part of the Civil Defence and was only there as a medical capacity, but the Civil Defence recieved funding/sponsorship/donation which was why i did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sofa King wrote: »
    If you're stewarding or doing security then you deserve to be paid. The only times i never got paid for work when dealing with gigs was when i was part of the Civil Defence and was only there as a medical capacity, but the Civil Defence recieved funding/sponsorship/donation which was why i did it.

But the deal seems to be she/he works for a few hours and then is allowed access to the concert. So they're getting paid with a ticket so to speak. They won't be working for the whole gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

If you work for nothing, you'll never be out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

poundhound wrote: »
    If you work for nothing, you'll never be out of work.

Ah so, very wise Sensei.

• Advertisement
Advertisement