Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flipping BIOS switch on 6950

Options
  • 28-07-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

for those following my thread in "new tech you bought" you already know, im having problems with my 6950.

first 6950 (PCS design), in position 1 its @ stock, in 2 its OC'd to 880mhz.
    second (custom cooled unknown version) @ switch 2 its @ stock, but it wont boot at all on switch 1. motherboard gives me a southbridge error.

i tried with just the problematic GPU in alone and still no remedy.

does this sound like its been tampered with?

what should i do at this point? RMA to HWVS and request the reference design version, the one i actually paid for, or is there a way to flash the problematic BIOS without being able to post?

what would happen if i flipped the switch while in windows?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I would call up HWVS and tell them that not only did they send you the wrong item, that its broken as well. Don't email them as they tend to take a week to respond to emails, but call them and ask for an english speaking rep.

If you get on to an english speaker they are awesome to talk to and will sort you out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i actually wouldnt mind keeping this version, if only i could fix the BIOS. flashing it to see if i could unlock the shaders would be dangerous if ive only 1 working BIOS to start with. actually just after googling the card (AX6950 2GBD5-2DH) it doesnt unlock at all..

ah more good news :( turns out my other 6950 isnt the PC++ version, but the same ax6950 2gbd5-2dh version that i already have, but strangly with a slightly different and uprated cooler with PCS written on it..? the PCB is also longer than the standard ax6950 2gbd5-2dh...? i cant find this exact version anywhere online.

anyone think of a good reason for me to keep these and not RMA them for the reference design? im not sure the reference PCB's can be unlocked anymore anyway, so it mightjust be hotter and louder than what i have now with no pre OC..?

EDIT: HWVS doesnt stock any powercolor models besides the reference apparently: linky

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Is this the pcs++ version? afaik it was recalled and discontinued because the second bios did not work so people affected contacted powercolor and got the 6970 instead.

it says PCS on the cooler, but it doesnt look like the pcs vertex cooler from google images or powercolors own website.

when i flip the switch i just get an OC'd 6950 (880mhz @1408 shaders) so cant be the pcs++. its the other one thats giving me problems though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

vertex is the new edition, pcs++ was the old version that got replaced. The difference between the versions is that they got rid of shader unlock with bios switch as there were problems. link I meant the first bios in my previous post, the second bios is just for backup ( in case with reference designs anyways)

Advertisement